Really all depends on the hunt. I only carry the 10's, 15's and spotter on certain hunts. Depends on the country and game I'm hunting. For instance, this Sept. when I'll be hunting caribou I'll only carry the 10's and the spotter. Need to judge them bou before I go after them or take the shot. It's great to have all of the options as far as glass goes for different hunts but it's very costly as I believe in buying the very best you can, and sometimes can't, afford :rolleyes:

Guest Ernesto C
ALRIGHT COUESELK, YOU'VE MADE YOUR POINT.......WHERE ARE THEY! :ph34r: I'm pretty sure I remember this pic AND seeing the deer, but I can't find em' now. JIM>

Perhaps....we are getting older my friend :lol: another reason to have a spotting scope? :)

Sure Danny, make us look first with the spotter turned to 20X, and t-h-e-n crank it up to 60X :ph34r:

Now the next question is: how to thread the bullet through that maze of Octillo

I kinda like these "Where's Waldo" games, but with coues.

RR

see, its shots like these i excell ( because i carry a ton of ammo)

1. shoot near the buck you want to harvest, get him onhis feet.

2. shoot agian, not quite a clear enough shot.

3. clip that twig that is covering the heart

4. shoot at the heart and miss!

5. shoot and hit the shoulder, and lungs

6. hes down but heck im still shootin

7. (Keith, i saw an ear move, better shoot agian!)

heck, that aint bad for me!

I see one facing and one looking away to the right. Jim, you need to take the patch off of your eye. :lol:

Yeah........I see em' now. :ph34r: I do remember seeing them deer before AND what I thought were deer in the previous pic...WERE deer, so I don't feel too bad, although I still can't see the STANDING doe!

David......BOTH my eyes are all messed up from starin' at this darn computer for the last 6 hours! Great visual on the NEED for a spottin' scope, Coueselk! Makes me remember WHY I have one and lug it around! JIM>

WAIT.............is she standing below the buck on the left? If not....I give up! JIM>

Talk about threading the bullet, this buck was 420 yards from us and we decided to take him. My partner opted to swing out right onto an adjacent ridge to try and find an opening. We ended up taking him, but not through this maze of ocotillo.

post-19-1153495457.jpg

Danny,

That maze of limbs reminds me of shooting a good smoker course for 3D archery. I've learned a lot about arrow trajectory by shooting them. A good friend attributes a caribou bull he arrowed in Quebec to the smokers he shot and learning how to thread the needle. He had a small mid-trajectoy window to shoot through.

I always believed that in a good smoker, the shots got progressively more difficult, the penalties of missing progressively harder, and only a few should be able to complete it intact. Great fun to shoot, AND watch as others blow up arrows.

Don't know if I'd launch an arrow into that octillo maze, though.

RR

Just when y'all about had me convinced to get a good spotter, it appears that there will be no coues tag for me this season.

RR

Doug, that new Nikon scope got selected by Outdoor Life as one of it's top 2 scopes. It is a compact scope that would be perfect for an Alaska kodiak hunt. The only drawback is that it only magnifies up to 30X. Something to consider. CB