Sign in to follow this  
sjvcon

Broughton 5C Barrels

Anyone on here have experience with these? Are they as good as they claim?

Was going to go Hart or Lilja, but then stumbled across information on these and it's got me curious.

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

I have a Schneider Polygon, which I like a lot. That being said, I've heard good things about the 5C and 5R barrels. I say give it a shot.

Schneider is an option too. Has a VERY short turn around (5 weeks to Broughton's 12), but I have some questions about the polygonal rifling. I've read some good, and some bad. Was not overly keen on the response to my questions from the guy I spoke to at the Schneider shop either ... was not Gary ... someone else. Anyone else have a Schneider??? Thoughts? I don't want to rebarrel this thing again until its shot out.

The Schneider barrel that I have on my custom 300 RUM (1:11 twist, P5, #5.5 taper) has been incredibly accurate. My best group was 1.5” @ 750 years and I regularly shoots 2” at the same distance. The 100 yard groups are regularly in.13”-.19” @ 100 yards.

To give you a fair assessment, I will give you the areas that are not perfect. The barrel does seem to have a couple small spots that seem to gather some copper and the accuracy node is at a lower velocity than I hoped. I’m shooting the 210 grain Berger VLDs @ 3,050 fps.

With regards to dealing with Schneider, I’ve heard several people mention that they didn’t get the warm fuzzy feeling when they talked to the guys at Schneider; however, the three times that I’ve called I got lucky and spoke directly to Gary and he has always gone out of his way to explain his barrels. One of the times, we spoke for 30 minutes. The one thing you might want to know is that the delivery time will probably be longer than 6 weeks, I have some friends that are currently in their 10th week of waiting for their barrels. My other buddy as been waiting 13 weeks for his Hart Barrel, which was supposed to be closer to 8 weeks.

Another thing to consider is that McMillan uses Schneider P5 barrels in their .308 tactical rifles and their new EOL outdoorsman rifle. Here is a link to a review of the McMillan EOL rifle. http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/range-test-mcmillan-eol-outdoorsman-84122/

Hope this helps.

Don't guess it gets much better than that on accuracy if that is common for those barrels. Other friends with these getting similar results azgutpile? How about other CWT members with Schneider's? Like the idea of supporting a local guy for sure...just want to be "right".

I ended up going with Hart on my 300 rum, it shoots great. I just ordered another barrel from them last week for my new 7mm WSM. They are about 12-13 weeks out on getting one out to me.

I have a friend that ordered a barrel from Schneider and it was such a hassle dealing with them. But I know guy that has one and says they are ok.

Anyways Hart has my vote! Well worth the wait!

1/2" group @ 300 yards with my rum

+ 1 on the Broughton. Have one on my .338 edge. Shoots 1/2 - 3/4 moa out to 1200 yrds + if I do my part.

Okay ... I called Schneider today and ASKED for Gary. He was out so I said I'd call back. I did, and Gary answered. All I can say is the guy is a GREAT GUY. Spent 20 minutes or so talking to me about his barrels, their history, how he came up with the P5, and who is now using it. Turns out, the P5 is NOT a true polygonal barrel (ala H&K / Glock / Etc) like I thought it was. Instead, it is very similar to the Obemeyer 5R, but with added radiuses that make it even more "slick". He said that 80% of his business is now P5, though he will rifle a barrel with standard lands and grooves too. Now that I have talked to him, I am a little more comfortable pulling the trigger (pun intended) on his P5. Only catch is that he's 8 or so weeks ... still better than Broughton, but not as good as the Lilja 9 twist 3 groove that is ready to ship out the door. Makes decisions tough. Sure did like the guy, and liked that he's local.

My friends Schneider Barrels arrived on Friday. He turned our order around in 9 weeks and two days.

What barrel are you planning on ordering and what are you planning on chambering it in?

Well ... after all that, I went totally different. I read about 50 different opinions on Brux Barrels ... all glowingly positive. Single point cut rifled. Stainless steel. I am sure all of the other ones I've been considering are as good, but after reading absolutely no negatives, I figured "why not". Besides that, it was IN STOCK ... never been known for my patience when waiting for parts. Got a .284/7MM barrel in #3 Contour/1 in 9" twist that will be chambered in .280AI (Nosler SAAMI version for simplicity of brass). It will be either 24 or 26" long ... haven't decided yet.

I will be doing a .338 EDGE in the next year on a Winchester Classic Action (currently chambered in .300 RUM). When I do that one, I will be ordering a Schneider long in advance ... already made that decision.

I have used Kreiger, Hart, Schnieder and Douglas barrels. The two being used the most right now in the competitive circles are Kreiger and Bartlein. I perfer Kreigers, and have two on order now (20 weeks out). For Hunting, I don't think it would matter which barrel you chose, just get someone that knows what they are doing when putting it on your gun. FWIW Pac Nor barrels are liked by many also. Just my .02.