Sign in to follow this  
utah400elk

Kaibab Deer questions

I am looking for a little help from the guys down in AZ/ southern Utah. I can offer Utah and Wyoming info in exchange if that helps? I have the points to draw either the 12 BW early hunt or 12 A either East or West. I have hunted 12BW hunt in 2006 and had a fun hunt. I never ended up shooting a deer but saw a few 160 class deer and just missed a 190 class deer. No shots taken but as I was driving up to the top of the buckskins I saw a white 4runner parked in the middle of the road by dead man’s pockets. I later stopped and talked with the guys in the 4runner. They had shot a 190 class buck that was following a doe in the middle of the day. They said they shot the deer about 10 seconds before I drove by and the deer was about 50 yards off the road. They said that if I had been about 30 seconds earlier I would have seen the deer just standing there. Not the way I like to hunt but I know things can happen that way.

Now, on to the question… In 2006 the 12BW hunt went into November. This year it does again. I have looked a lot at 12AE early and was sure this was the hunt I wanted to try but I with the later dates this year I am thinking about 12BW again. For the guys that live in the area and have hunted these hunts what would your suggestions be. I have been told that in the past few years the deer are NOT in 12BW. I have been told the later the dates the more deer that are there. I had a great time hunting in 12BW but would like a chance at a 180 class buck. I have included 12BW but I have not looked into that unit much. I know in 2006 a 180 buck would have been very hard to come by but they were there. I know there are 180 class bucks in both 12 AE and 12 AW.

To add a little to the mix. I plan on taking my wife and son on the hunt with me. He will not go on all the hunts but he could do a few evening hunts with me. He is going to be five and I thought it would be a fun hunt for him.

I really appreciate any help.

• Like 1

I know 12B is really hit or miss with seeing any large deer at all. It's mostly a small buck unit, but if you've had success finding large bucks on the early hunt than it might be worth sticking with it. I'm kinda in the same situation, I can't decide if I want to go for a 12A West early hunt or go elsewhere. I had the hunt in 05' with 1,000 tags and after the hunt I never had the desire to apply for it again. I know the big deer are there to be found, but I'm not sure if it's worth burning my points on it...

If the kaibab and paunsigunt platues get a good snow, big bucks will move into 12bw. The early hunt is pretty much dependent on snow. I am in the same boat as you guys. Cant decide were to put in.

I decided long ago that it was better to hunt the Kaibab a few times rather than a one shot deal. I was behind in the point game and knew the strip was out of reach. I like the idea of hunting in an area where there are a few pigs. I might not get one but I can a least hunt for them.

I haven't looked at the dates yet, but If the 12a east or west dates are later I'd do that, you can find good quality buck in there plus your dependant on the snow but since your dates are later you will most likely get your snow later in the week. I've seen ALOT of big bucks on both sides, I generally tend to hunt the east side though.

If you already have points enough to draw a late hunt then draw a late hunt anywhere up there! 12B is a great late hunt and gets bucks from 12A as well as from Utah. But 12B can be a tough early hunt. The early hunts in 12A E and W are pretty much the same every year so you know what to expect. Most people can draw several early hunts in the time it takes the average hunter to draw one late hunt.

In 12B there might not be any deer to choose from on the early hunt. But in 12A the deer are always there somewhere whether its early or late. Just some times they might hide a little better than other times. But they are still there to find no matter the time of year. You just have to know how to find them. Most hunters will go home with a fork horn or 2 year old no matter if its a early hunt or a late hunt.

Keep in mind that the statistics and records kept include all the weekend road hunters. The quality bucks are there. The only hunt that is a big gamble is the 12B early hunt.

Lance

Thanks for all the help. I decided to put in for 12B late hunt as a 1st choice and 12AE as my second. 12B has passed the 20% cap without a nonresident drawn in the past leaving a random draw chance. I know its slim but I at least might have a slight chance. I should have enough points for the 12AE early hunt.

Thanks for all the help. I decided to put in for 12B late hunt as a 1st choice and 12AE as my second. 12B has passed the 20% cap without a nonresident drawn in the past leaving a random draw chance. I know its slim but I at least might have a slight chance. I should have enough points for the 12AE early hunt.

I kinda like the 12AE early hunt myself..... =) Good luck in the draw!

Lance

post-669-0-78977600-1338063539_thumb.jpg