I have one of my cams on a water tank right now. Been getting alot of pics. I was surprised by two things.

1) The elevevation of this tank is only appx 3,000 ft, yet I am getting about 50% Coues deer.

2) All of the 120 deerpics I got in the last two weeks were all daytime pics. No night time pics. I know the camera is working at night because I got some pics of other things like fox and mice.

Two carp bucks.

ICAM0189.jpg

Young WT buck. I blew up the pic and yes, there is a start of antler growth. Hard to see otherwise. The deer stading on the tank facing the camera is also a buck.

ICAM0063.jpg

Pregnant Doe

ICAM0010.jpg

Cool pics :lol:

Some of those deer look a little skinny. Hope you all get some rain soon.

That's awesome! Watch out for the snakes! :lol:

DesertBull, Thanks for sharin the great pic's. I have also been seeing coues down low.....WAY LOW like around the desert floor at about 2,400 ft. level. It's got to have something to do with the drought :lol: And all them day time pic's could have something to do with the heat and or lions down low as well :lol:

It looks like those pics are taken with the moultrie 200. Is that the camera? What type of battery do you use? I am having a hard time with my camera working for more than a few days at a time due to the battery I believe. Cool pics

Don't buy the cheap walmart battery. Buy an Everready or Duracell. I got a 120 pics in 2 weeks off one battery and it says it's still over 50% charged.

In an area I used to hunt in the early 90's you never saw any whitetail down low. When I was in there about three years ago, it was no problem seeing them in the greasewoods. They have really dropped down lower and overtaken the muleys. I think we will start seeing even more crossbreeds. I really like the pictures. Those are some of the best I have seen when it comes to clarity. David

Looks like that 2nd picture has a carp and 2 whitetail. Thanks for sharing! The deer farthest away being a Muley.

Great pictures, DesertBull. I didn't see your reply of what brand of camera.

Is that a digital or 35 mm and what brand? How far away is the camera set up from the tank?

I'm in the market for a new trail camera. I have a very inexspensive one now (stealth cam 35 MM) and I cannot figure out how to adjust the distance for tripping the camera to take pictures.

;) Terry

It's a Moultrie 200

You can buy them all day long on EBAY for about $140.00

BTW, Moultrie is coming out with their new camera this month, so the price on the 200 might come down after it's released.

Moultrie 4.1 MP Cam

I set the cam up about 10' from the water.

Thanks DesertBull,

I can't wait to get my new camera and set it up.

Terry

Desertbull, great pics! Thanks for sharing.

300WSM, I'm using a rechargable battery in my moultrie game spy 200. I think I've had it out there for >3 weeks and it's still had 99% when I picked it up. I've read on some forums where people were having issues with the batteries dying in under a week. You might want to call Moultrie customer service to see what they say.

Ron

Anyone have a guess on why the deer are not watering after dark? Last year, almost all of my pics came at night during June, July and August.

Just a thought..... I have experienced tanks farther away from bedding areas getting hit more at night, and tanks closer or in bedding areas more active in the day, especially summer time. That looks like awesome country behind that tank! JIM

Desertbull,

I had a moultrie digital last summer and had the same problem as you. Lots of day time pictures but very, very few at night. Finally I decided to put another camera on the same tank at the same time as the moultrie and see if there was a problem with the camera taking night pictures. Sure enough the new camera got several pictures at night and the moultrie didn't. I called moultrie and they said I could send it back and they would test it, but I never got around to it. Maybe you've got the same problem I was having? Seems like I'd get an occasional night picture with it, but never as many as I should have been getting.

By the way one of the pictures that the moultrie missed that the other camera picked up was a mountain lion.

Desertbull great pics. What unit are you getting your pics in....if you don't mind me asking?

With the temps getting high and the weather being dry, I am extremely grateful to the ranchers, organizations and anyone who takes the time to build those trick tanks and drinkers. I think they are real saviors to our wildlife.