Sign in to follow this  
desertbowhunter

Is this a good rifle?

wow - I had no idea Savage made such high quality stuff. I always viewed them (at least in the last 20 years) as building lower priced/quality products.

This is my .308 i put together for about $1500. The picture of the group next to the dime was shot at 100 yards. The next group was shot at 300 yards while i was still sighting it in. The gun shot those groups straight out of the box with nothing done too it. I did replace the trigger with a 1 1/2 timney trigger and had custom turrets made for it.

post-5645-0-96801700-1334712507_thumb.jpg

post-5645-0-92611900-1334712525_thumb.jpg

post-5645-0-95804600-1334712544_thumb.jpg

This is my .308 i put together for about $1500. The picture of the group next to the dime was shot at 100 yards. The next group was shot at 300 yards while i was still sighting it in. The gun shot those groups straight out of the box with nothing done too it. I did replace the trigger with a 1 1/2 timney trigger and had custom turrets made for it.

Wow! nice!

http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/long-range-rig.php

I found this online maybe it will help. Long range hunting on a budget.

Nice! Thanks for the link. I have everything but the rifle and scope. Optics,rangefinder etc. I do hunt a lot just haven't picked up a rifle since 2006. I'm an avid bow hunter and spotter for friends and family. The main reason for the rifle is some family members and I decided to put in some serious effort into dropping some bears this year. Easier said than done right. Ha!ha!

desertbow- the gun azhunter is shooting is a remington. there is a thread somewhere from jml shooting his 6.5-284 savage. i would get a sendero in 7mm rem mag.

The sendero is a great gun i almost bought it. But it weighs 10 pounds without a scope on it and it cost almost $1100. So there are pro's and con's too it. If you can only spend $1500 go with a less expensive gun and better optics! There's nothing more irritating than a guy buying a super nice rifle and and putting a 3x9 bushnell scope on it! Optics are the key to shooting long range!

I own a Savage LRH in .300 win. topped with a vortex viper. It is one of many savages I own, and it is not the only one topped with a vortex scope. You absolutely cannot go wrong with either the rifle or the scope. I reload for all of my savages and have no problems getting sub moa on all of them straight out of the box. I have a friend that owns several 700's and savages. He is someone that I trust a lot and he always points me in the direction of the savage. One of the things I will say about the LRH is that it is a little bit on the heavy side for me, but I wanted to be able to shoot to 1000 yards. If you are serious about shooting 600 yards accurately it is absolutely possible. I have a savage 11fxp3 in .243 that I shoot 4 inch groups or smaller at 600 yards all day long. I went through the trajectory vaildation process to get custom turrets from Vortex and they are spot on. I hope to be buying another rifle here pretty soon and it will be another LRH in 6.5 creedmor. I wish you were closer to where I live (yuma) because I would let you shoot any of my savages so you can see for yourself.

I own a Savage LRH in .300 win. topped with a vortex viper. It is one of many savages I own, and it is not the only one topped with a vortex scope. You absolutely cannot go wrong with either the rifle or the scope. I reload for all of my savages and have no problems getting sub moa on all of them straight out of the box. I have a friend that owns several 700's and savages. He is someone that I trust a lot and he always points me in the direction of the savage. One of the things I will say about the LRH is that it is a little bit on the heavy side for me, but I wanted to be able to shoot to 1000 yards. If you are serious about shooting 600 yards accurately it is absolutely possible. I have a savage 11fxp3 in .243 that I shoot 4 inch groups or smaller at 600 yards all day long. I went through the trajectory vaildation process to get custom turrets from Vortex and they are spot on. I hope to be buying another rifle here pretty soon and it will be another LRH in 6.5 creedmor. I wish you were closer to where I live (yuma) because I would let you shoot any of my savages so you can see for yourself.

Andygrand

Thanx for your reply I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go with the LRH in 7mm and top it with a vortex viper . The feedback I received from this sight has been awesome! I feel I will be very happy with the purchase when I do buy the rifle and scope. Is there any factory ammo that you or anyone on this site recommends or am I going to have to start getting into reloading?

I believe that HSM have reloads at Sportsmans with the Berger VLD, I would start with those.

I believe that HSM have reloads at Sportsmans with the Berger VLD, I would start with those.

+1

HSM Trophy Gold is some of the best factory loads you can buy! Cabelas carries it as well. You can also order it straight from the Hunting Shack website but then you'll have to pay shipping. I have found that Sportsmansguide.com has some of the best prices for HSM ammo but again, if you are going to order it online you'll have to pay shipping.

-Tracy