Thegrayghost

Unit 22 North

So i got Drawn for the November archery Bull hunt in unit 22 North. i was just wondering if anyone has hunted that unit/same hunt before. there where 250 tags for that unit and thats a pretty small space for 250 bull tag holders... i figued its going to be harder than most since the rut will be over, its in lower country, and its archery. Any advise??

You have two choices, 1st set up several tree stands on water and game trails. 2nd spot and stalk. It's a great unit, but that hunt can be very difficult. I would get very familar with the area and start setting up camra's. Good luck.

Adam

Lots of people will be driving roads and lots of people will be trying to "claim" a water hole by setting up blinds and tree stands early. It's a weird time of year there where you can be rain or snowed on the whole trip or it can be hot. If warm find water or trails to water. I try to Find water as far away from a road as possible to avoid dealing with people trying to "claim" there spot. If weather gets bad I've seen elk a few times come off the rim. Lots of roads that take you to bottem of rim and can glass the rim itself.

I have had the 22n late rifle hunt, and an 838 yard shot is what it took for me :ph34r:

The successful late archery tag holders I spoke with while scouting for my hunt (and there were only a few successful ones) sat water that had been well scouted.

You can get it done, but a LOT of time in the woods scouting is what its going to take.

I have also had the early rifle hunt in 22n... That, my friend, is a whole different story. :P

Lots of people will be driving roads and lots of people will be trying to "claim" a water hole by setting up blinds and tree stands early. It's a weird time of year there where you can be rain or snowed on the whole trip or it can be hot. If warm find water or trails to water. I try to Find water as far away from a road as possible to avoid dealing with people trying to "claim" there spot. If weather gets bad I've seen elk a few times come off the rim. Lots of roads that take you to bottem of rim and can glass the rim itself.

+1 on getting up under the rim and glassing up - they will be working their way down in the afternoons, and up in the mornings.

+1 again on getting up the base of the rim and glassing. Most is too thick to try to see any distance. I found that most good glassing spots had people and any water by roads had people but get a little off those and its pretty empty of hunters. Dude burn is still pretty good I think, seems to be a popular side. I thought that took in part of HArdscrabble also, that is an often overlooked area and good for glassing.

All the bulls I posted in the trailcam section (velvet bulls) are from a spot my son killed a couple bulls in a couple years back in 22n. I placed that camera for a friend of mine who had the Nov archery tag last year to get him motivated. If you find a great spot like I did it can be an easy hunt - if not it will be incredibly difficult. I scouted 36 days to find a my son's first bull 3 years ago and that time produced several awesome spots where I know a good bull can be killed any day of hunting season. There's plenty of elk, but they won't move much in dayligt in November. The bull in my avatar is my son's first bull he took when he was 12 - lucky kid! Good luck...

I have hunted deer in October in this unit and saw a lot of elk and on the trail cam. Never archery in November. I have a cabin up there now and hope to see many more elk. Are the roads up under the rim off the control road or Washington Park. Thanks