Sign in to follow this  
Ernesto C

Hey Turkey Hunters

If you were going to buy a shotgun exclusively for turkeys, which one will you buy? What choke will you use? What shot size?

Thanks

Ernesto C

I think the shells are a lot more important than the gun. When I first started hunting turkeys 3 years ago a friend gave me 4 shells, they've worked out very well but decided I should have a few more so bought a box a couple of weeks ago. So now I have my original 4 shells plus a box, we'll see this year how that works out!

Hope someone can give you more insight on what gun to buy, so far mine has worked out well for my needs. :rolleyes:

I guess it depends a lot on what you want to spend. I've got a Mossberg 835 that came with a turkey choke and fiber sights and it has done well for me. It's a little finicky about shells, some pattern way better than others. One thing for sure, shooting 3.5" magnums, it kicks like a mule.

A semi-auto would kick a lot less, but for a few shots a year, this one does OK. Like Elkaddict said, just pick the right shells, as they all shoot a little different. (Kind of expensive to try too many out at today's turkey load prices).

I use a mossberg 500 that I got at a pawn shop for not very much money. it works great. it has a 28 inch, full choke barrel that is chambered for 3 inch mag shells. I have both 4 shot and 6 shot that I use in it. one year I dropped a yote dead in his tracks at 49 yards with that gun. I painted the stocks with flat black paint. It kicks pretty good but doesn't get shot that often.

Shot guns fit and fill differently for each hunter. For example my dad shoots a Mossberg and loves it but I have never been able to shoot well with it. I have a browning and I shoot well with it but my dad dosent.

If you are going to get a gun strictly for turkeys get a camouflage one with fiber optic sights. The choke to get would depend on the gun you are buying. I would settle on a gun that feels good to you and sights up naturally to your eye, then do the research to see what loads and chokes shoot best for that particular gun.

Hope this helps.

Mossberg 500 28 inch,gobbler stopper choke extra fullwhich adds an extra 1 1/2 inches to the barrel # 4 shot

I'll echo the Mossberg 835 12g 28 inch 3.5 inch with ultra full or a turkey/coyote choke up to .690 restriction with fiber optic and camo. AJI Sporting Goods in AJ's has 2 used Mossberg 835's for sale that are camo and 3.5 inch both under $250. Not all these bells/whistles but I'd get one if I didn't already have one. Remington's are always solid, a bit higher quality than Mossberg imho.

Any load that says turkey from a reliable brand will have premium powder, nbr 4 or 6 shot, and probably a longer range wad. Pattern the gun on some paper at 30 and 50 yards to a drawn turkey head pattern and check how many shots around the head. The benefit with a semi-auto is a quicker shot when it counts for turkey or predators.

I'm getting fired up now! :) Good luck.

Throwing out another vote for the Mossberg 835. Although a remington fan you simply can not beat a Mosberg 835 for a strictly turkey gun. (which if i recall without looking back is what the OP originaly asked.) Im running a Mossberg 835 dipped in mossy oak camo. 24" barrel, Primos jellyhead .690 choke, http://reviews.bassp...s.htm shooting 3 1/2" Remington premier high velocity #4's http://www.basspro.c...ct/31056/143709 and a limbsavers recoil pad! LOL. I picked mine up for $180 at a gunshow and it strictly hunts turkey and cyotes. Edit with TruGlow red dot I added last night and picture.

Speedy.

post-6055-0-18599600-1336514409_thumb.jpg

post-6055-0-73295600-1336514509_thumb.jpg

post-6055-0-13878300-1336514519_thumb.jpg

Remington 870, the best shotgun ever made.

Have had mine for 15+ years. it has been through a full body rusting, dropped more than a few times, shot who knows how many cases of ammo back when I hunted ducks and dove. Never had one problem. It has killed 8 turkeys as well. No. 4 shot 3" with extra full choke

As said above best shotgun ever made