Sign in to follow this  
BASS

Beer Can Chicken.

Does anyone out there have a good recipe to cook some beer can chicken on the grill or smoker? What kind of beer should be used, dark or light? Which tends to taste better? Honestly if its cold, I'll drink it and like it so I don't have a favorite, just a "i'm too cheap so buy that" choice. Any prep work I should do, like a marinade first, or during? I like cooking so I have an idea on what I want to do, but I also don't want to ruin dinner and end up buying Buffalo Wild Wings again! ;)

Good beer does not come in a can so get your favorite brand of swill, drink about a third of it. I like to chunk up some onions, garlic, cilantro, red peppers and stuff them in the can with the beer. Shove this up the chickens butt and stand it on the grill carefully so it will not tip over. Usually the chickens drumsticks will help keep it balanced. Cook it slowly over medium heat and baste the outside with your favorite seasoning and melted butter. I like to cook them for about an hour and fifteen minutes or so until a meat thermometer reads 170 degrees or you can grasp a drumstick and pull off the whole thigh. The biggest secret is to cook it long and slow. You can also stuff the can with fruit or whatever you feel might accent the taste. You really can't screw it up.

go to Costco and get a rotisserie chicken already prepare for $4.00 bucks... buy some beer and eat and drink.... LOL I say this because I made beer can chicken one time and it cost more for a uncooked chicken than it did for a fully cooked rotisserie chicken

• Like 1

I don't believe in putting good beer up a chickens ***.

Budweiser up the cornhole.

Shiner Bock in my mouth.

:D

One of my favorites is Tequila Butt Chicken. Drink a beer, cut the top out of the can, fill it about 1/2 full of tequila, the juice of 2-3 limes, 1/2 chopped onion, a small bunch of cilantro and an Anaheim pepper (use hotter peppers if you like). Sprinkle some salt and pepper on the outside of the bird, you can also add other seasonings to the liquid in the can. I will plug the neck cavity with a small potato or an onion and pull the skin of the bird over it to help keep all the moisture in the bird. I try to cook with the outside burners only and cook the bird till I get 165’F on the thermometer. Let the bird rest off the heat for several minutes before you cut into it. Very tasty stuff.

To be honest with you it doesn't matter if it's beer or pop of any kind. I've done a ton of these. It actually keeps moisture in the bird while it's cooking. I hate to waste my beer on a chicken but it looks good in pictures. Here are a few pictures I've taken. It takes any where from a hour to two hours and you're good to go. The wife and I like to inject our birds with marinade. You can buy the kits at bass pro. Then we season them on the outside with whatever sesoning you like. Hre are a couple pictures.

post-1903-0-38494200-1333519454_thumb.jpg

Just getting started. You can do them on the grill as well.

post-1903-0-46255500-1333519304_thumb.jpg

The finish product. It will melt in your mouth.

Looks tasty Tj.

Thanks Shelvin, it doesn't get any better than that. You can't go wrong with a beer can chicken. Good luck on the draw. :)

TJ

Making me hungry TJ !!

Slices of orange, lemon, or lime and green chiles under the skin is awesome to must cook low and slow occasionally squirt some italian salad dressing on it to keep it moist.

Tin foil socks work good on legs.

My husbands makes these fairly often...they are YUMMY!! He puts onion, peppers, and spices in the beer (cheapest beer we have around at the time) and then that steams the chickens and provides some tastey veggies to go with the chicken. He uses apple wood to smoke the chicken too and that's awesome!

here is a pic of him and our neice when he made it for them out in Maine.

post-1-0-34450000-1333557300_thumb.jpg

Man oh man! Redman, we usually snag a couple birds from Frys and a dozen tortillas. Makes a great, easy, and cheap dinner. I noticed we had a couple frozen birds in the freezer so I thought I'd give it a try to actually use this beer can chicken BBQ device we've had for years and have never used!

TJ, I might just bring my birds over and come back later with some money and drinks! Those looks great! You are also the second person who has told me to use 7up or Sprite instead of a brew. I guess I'll do one soda and one beer.

Hopefully these turn out, because I now want to try the Tequila mix that KCA205 posted, that sounds amazing too! (I must be really hungry)

So would it be better to use the oven, or the grill? Obviously indirect heat for the grills.

Man oh man! Redman, we usually snag a couple birds from Frys and a dozen tortillas. Makes a great, easy, and cheap dinner. I noticed we had a couple frozen birds in the freezer so I thought I'd give it a try to actually use this beer can chicken BBQ device we've had for years and have never used!

TJ, I might just bring my birds over and come back later with some money and drinks! Those looks great! You are also the second person who has told me to use 7up or Sprite instead of a brew. I guess I'll do one soda and one beer.

Hopefully these turn out, because I now want to try the Tequila mix that KCA205 posted, that sounds amazing too! (I must be really hungry)

So would it be better to use the oven, or the grill? Obviously indirect heat for the grills.

I prefer the smoker for the different flavors you can achieve from your chips but the oven or grill will get the job done. Be sure to use a cookie sheet for a drip pan. Take pictures and post them. :)

TJ