Sign in to follow this  
huntingfool

Legal Centerfire Rifles

Hey guys, help me out. Somebody knows the answer. I remember at some point reading in the regs that is illegal to use a .50 BMG for hunting in AZ. I was looking in the regs today and could find no restriction on caliber other than "any centerfire rifle." I could swear I've seen a restriction specifically on the .50 BMG...

The reason I was looking is because I'm getting a 50 Beowulf and wanted to make sure it was legal. I thought the wording was specifically for the BMG but a friend asked about hunting with "50 cal rifles" so I looked. I'm at least 99% sure the Beowulf is legal, but from what I can tell you can use a 50 BMG. Anyway, somebody here knows for sure :)

Discalimer: I do not own a .50 BMG nor am I proposing a position either way on it. Just curious.

I have never seen any regualtions. Best to call the Game& Fish Dept. to clarify.

Just curious as to why someone would want to hunt with one. .50BMG rifles can weigh upwards of 30 pounds, and has a huge muzzle brake. Its the only way to control the recoil. I couldn't imagine lugging one of those around in rough country.

SOme years ago I read an article somewhere about hunters using a .50BMG to shoot elk at a 1000 yards. And then some kind of regualtion was made as to the maximum weight limit on a legal hunting rifle. I dont remember what state it was?

Yeah I'm thinking that maybe I am incorrectly mixing up not allowing them at rifle ranges. I just have a memory of coming across it in the regs. I could very well be wrong, it is a fuzzy memory :)

Jake,

I think the regs say something about a 16 or 18 or so pound weight restriction which pretty much eliminates the .50's

I remember talking about this at hunter ed class in Feb '08. It was definitely illegal then. But I can't find anything in 11/12 regs nor in the 10/11 regs. Possibly they changed the law?? Your best bet is to call Game and Fish and make sure your .50cal beuwolf is legal. I don't see anything on rifle weight either.

Yeah I've looked again and searched keywords in the regs and I can't find anything on the subject. I'll have to call Game and Fish but if it's not written then it's legal.

I remember reading a thread somewhere online where someone shot a barbary sheep in NM or TX at 800 yards with a 50 BMG.

338 lapua is almost as efficient as a 50 bmg and a lot less heavy and not as expensive.

I recall a .50 being used a few years back in 5B. Dropped three cows from the same herd (different shots for different tags) and the owner of the gun and one of the hunters was one of the pickiest persons I've ever met. Needs written clarification for everything no matter how small. Perhaps the rules were changed?

Just because it isn't in the regs doesn't mean it is legal. You would need to look at ARS too....

What ARS statute are you referring to???

it says in the regs to refer to each specie for legal method of take.

I see no reference to caliber only magazine capacity and ammunition types; ie; exploding projectile, tracers and such it says

To take elk:

a. Centerfire rifles;

b. Muzzleloading rifles;

c. All other rifles using black powder or synthetic

black powder;

d. Centerfire handguns;

e. Handguns using black powder or synthetic

black powder;

f. Shotguns shooting slugs, only;

g. Bows with a standard pull of 30 or more lbs,

using arrows with broadheads no less than 7/8

inch in width with metal cutting edges; and

h. Crossbows with a minimum draw weight of

125 lbs, using bolts with a minimum length of

16 inches and broadheads no less than 7/8 inch

in width with metal cutting edges or bows as

described in subsection (A)(6)(g) to be drawn

and held with an assisting device

it also references ARS 17-301 and ARS 17-309

and see no restrictions of caliber except on limited weapon hunts.

you may want to call and clarify.

James

I wasn't actually referring to any specific statute, was just saying to double check the statutes to be sure it wasn't mentioned in those. Not every law is listed in the regulations. There may or may not be a statute about it, which it sounds like there isn't.

• Like 1

I wasn't actually referring to any specific statute, was just saying to double check the statutes to be sure it wasn't mentioned in those. Not every law is listed in the regulations. There may or may not be a statute about it, which it sounds like there isn't.

There are no statutes listed in the regs that I or apparently anyone else can find. It has to be written to be law. Where else would restrictions on calibers for hunting be listed if not in the hunting regulations?

There are no statutes listed in the regs that I or apparently anyone else can find. It has to be written to be law. Where else would restrictions on calibers for hunting be listed if not in the hunting regulations?

It actually does say

"This list is for informational purposes only and lists important information or major

changes that have occurred since publication of the last hunt draw booklet.

Individuals should thoroughly read and understand the appropriate regulations

prior to submitting an application or going afield.

Which I found and took to mean the regs are your basics laid out but read regulations for each appropriate species. After each Legal Requirement it lists the statute to refer to.

Unless I am not reading it right?