CHD

Flushing -vs- Glassing

Couesaddict:

Thanks for the offer to pack out my next whitetail. It would be great if you could do that, and even greater if there were a next one for me.

I shot my last whitetail above Arivaipa Canyon perhaps 8-10 years ago. It was bedded on a peak about 75 yards from where a very good desert ram was taking turns feeding and bedding as I stalked my buck. I approached the deer from above and shot it when it jumped up. The ram watched me as I gutted the deer, then followed me all the way off the mountain to a spot where I could get to in my truck. It was still standing there when I drove off. It was a much better trophy than the only sheep I've ever taken (which wasn't a small one, either). So much for the wily desert bighorn!

At any rate, I got that deer out by cutting it in half and relaying it. I'd carry a half a couple hundred yards, then go back and get the other half. It took twice as long, but was easier by a half because I could rest when walking back for the half I'd left behind. I'm long past the time when I can carry out a whole Arizona whitetail in one trip as I used to do.

When I still could, I'd cut a buck's front knees leaving the lower legs attached by hide and tendons, then slide the front legs through the gambrels, and carry the deer out like a backpack with its head down. I could go a long way without stopping to rest when I was younger, skinnier and a whole lot dumber.

Today, if I were to hunt whitetails again, I would bone my deer and carry out only its meat and antlers. I've already had one heart attack and don't need another.

Bill Quimby

I prefer glassing beacause you can see the buck and judge him and then figure out the stalk or shoot him right there. The stalk and glassing them up really is my favorie part of hunting.

CouesSlayer