almost

What weight arrow/broad head for elk?

I shoot Carbon express maxima's tipped with Wac' em broadheads. I believe my set up is around 370 grains. Has been deadly on 2 bulls to date. I do not believe that you need to gear your set up only to elk, if you have an elk tag. A few years back, I had both an archery antelope tag and an archery elk tag. It was a great year, and ended up harvesting both animals. Having said that, It was very impractical to re-set my bow up after the antelope hunt and then go elk hunting the next week. Both Bulls I have shot with this set up have been complete pass thru's and one was @ 45 yards. Bottom line is if you hit shoulder, your chance of finding that bull is not very great. If you miss to far back, there is no heavy bone, so the weight of the arrow means nothing. That is where cutting diameter would definetly play a factor. Think about all the female archers and youth. They shoot USUALLY slower bows with lighter arrows than you will be. They still kill elk. Bottom line is agree with what was stated above: Shoot what you are comfortable with and what works. Shot placement is crucial and I also put a 50yard maximum on elk. 40 yards if you are calling. Trust me, you will be so worked up that 40 even might be a stretch.

Wondering what you all are using arrow wise for elk. I shoot a 29" 70lbs bow. I used an easton flatline(30") with 100grn g5 montec for deer but not sure its the best choice for elk. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Cody

Hey guys my 1st post on here (long time lurker) and thought I would throw in my 2 cents. I've killed 3 bulls archery with light arrow set ups. 2 with easton flatline and 85grain wac-ems, from ranges of 3, 25 and 55yds.

Arrows kill by cutting and not kinetic energy. So use what arrows your comfortable with and practice, practice, practice. Shot placement and sharp broadheads are what is important. I don't know how many people have told me you can't kill elk with 85 grain broadheads.

Of course you can kill an elk with a light arrow and 85 grain head, it's just really, really, really bad advice.

Too many thing go wrong on elk hunts, why do hunters try to pull stunts?

Pick a stout, sharp, fixed blade broadhead that flies (tunes) well with your bow.

And practice....alot.

Of course you can kill an elk with a light arrow and 85 grain head, it's just really, really, really bad advice.

Too many thing go wrong on elk hunts, why do hunters try to pull stunts?

Pick a stout, sharp, fixed blade broadhead that flies (tunes) well with your bow.

And practice....alot.

Why do you have to use a fixed blade broadhead? There are mechs. that are designed for Elk. Try the Swhacker, it was designed for Elk and has multiple kia's on good bulls as well as larger game.

I'm sure the Swhacker is a great broadhead. Not my cup of tea for elk.

I guess Im on the opposite extreme, I shoot an arrow just shy of 500 grains(497 grains). I have taken 3 elk with this setup, and one being a bad shot on my part, and I hit in the shoulder just left of the ball joint. My arrow was able to push in and catch a lung, which slowed the bull down and I was able to come back in and take a second shot and finish what I started. That being said I dont think a light arrow or mechanical broadhead could have made it through that section. With fixed blade broadheads you never have to second guess on whether or not it will open, as a fixed is always cutting. I like to shoot any of the good one piece 3 blades(montec, hellrazer, or snuffers). Daniel

I killed 2 bulls with easton epic shafts and 100gr. rocket steelhead expandables... they both died within 40 yds.

I killed another bull with easton epic C2 shaft and 100gr rocket meetseeker expandable, he died within 25 yds. all 3 arrows were 415-420 grains and they were all complete passthru shots....

I would worry more about shot placement than doubting your set-up.