Sign in to follow this  
JLW

question

I was at Lake Robert in New Mexico a few years and saw several goldfish that had to be a pound or dang near. Never seen such a thing before!

As a kid my papa would take us kids to a main tank for cattle that had a ton of goldfish in it. We would take the nets and catch a couple of dozen, then go around for miles dropping them off in other tanks. I was told that this kept the algae down, but probably wasn't true. We did this for years and see some tanks do really well but others would "fishkill" every year. It was fun to do, we never put them in the water holes though, just man made tanks and springs that had reservoirs.

edit " lark I just read through the whole post and saw yours after the fact!" pretty cool, we did this in unit 1,2a,2b,2c

the goldfish I saw were in steel tanks

There used to be fish in Bear Grass Tank, supposedly ducks/geese from Arivaca Lake carried the eggs. It dried up a few years ago so no fish now. Also caught fish in the tailing ponds at Ruby, per the old caretaker Tommy they got there the same way. I don't know, not a biologist nor do I play one on tv, the explanation sounded plausible to me.

Bear grass is on the sport fish stocking program with AZGFD, I believe they have stocked it for sometime, but when I was researching a few years ago I found this PDF that has been scheduled on the 2009-2019 SantaCruz watershed stoking program ... I attached the PDF link

My link

I know that back in the 90's some of the cattle dirt tanks in 36c had catfish im them. They were over run in fact. You could throw your hook in with almost anything on it and as soon as it hit the water they would hit it.