Sign in to follow this  
DesertBull

reloading?

I am also interested in starting to reload. My question is, there are several different makers of reloading equipment out there. RCBS, LEE, DILLON, LYMAN.

All of them sell starter kits, which manufacture do you recommend or are they pretty much all the same?

Terry

I like the RCBS for rifle. I have a very old Dillion for my handgun ammo, but I don't shoot pistols much and haven't used it for years. The Lee and Lyman presses used to be less rugged than RCBS, but I don't know about their new presses. You can't go wrong with RCBS, though.

BillQ

The RCBS RockChucker Supreme kit is a good starting kit. You'll want to also get a case trimmer and caliper, in addition to your dies and shell holders

RR

ditto what Red Rabbit suggested. I have seen the Lymans and Lees and they look OK but my RCBS setup does everything that I want it to do and has been doing it for over 20 yrs.

Get a good "O" frame press, such as the RCBS RL5 or the Rock Chucker, or a similar press. A decent starting "kit" may make aquisition cheaper and easier.

You will need:

Dies

Shell holder

Calipers good to .001 inch (A decent dial Caliper or digital if your into that)

Case trimmer

Case neck chamfer tool

Powder scale accurate to .1 grain or better

Powder funnel

Powder dribbler

You will want:

Powder measure

stuck case removal tool

kinetic bullet puller

case holder (block with 50-100 holes for holding cases.)

Chronograph

BE CAREFUL!!!

Your safety and those of your family and friends may depend on your ability to reload accurately.

Develop a routine and don't let yourself deviate from it.

I prep all cases, then clean up the work are and myself, then prime all the cases I am doing at that session, then I set up my scale, test it, set it, measure each charge individually, and seat a bullet on each case immediately after filling.

When I am done I recheck my scale zero. I am very careful to not bump the scale during the loading, and I have a set of marks on the bench where I set it up. even a small deviation in position can affect the reading of the balance beam.

That said I find reloading to be a very enjoyable way to spend my time, it gives you a sense of pride in your loads, and maybe even saves you a buck or two.

It also helps when you are shooting a non-standard or older caliber rifle such as my .300 Savage.

So, starting to relaod is not cheap, but in the end it's been worth it to me.

Bchoitz