Sign in to follow this  
quailchaser

Best December Unit

Hello,

I'm thinking about applying for Coues hunting next year. I know that the draw odds are low for the December hunts, but those are the ones that I want to try.

Just curious, what is the opinion of the board for best access, best chance to see nice bucks, etc.

I've heard the Northern units are great for drawing. I've heard 36C has the monsters. I've heard the 35's have easier access with more area to hunt.

Just curious...not tryig to find any secret spots, etc.

Thanks!

IMO, there is no such thing as a "best" December unit. I know many others on here have hunted many more units than I have, but I would be thrilled with a December tag in any unit. Down south I have only hunted in the 36's and all 3 of them have good deer numbers and trophy potential. Around the valley I have hunted mostly 22, 23, 24A, 24B and big deer come out of those units every year. There are plenty more good units, too. Look at your best chance of drawing a tag and consider yourself lucky when you get it.

The unit you know the best is the best unit for you.

+1

Really there are great bucks in most units. And so you might want to narrow it down based on which units are actually close enough to you that you will spend more time scouting and learning the area.

• Like 1

If it was my choice I would be looking at 21,22,23. The southern units are good but they have four coues deer hunts in those units every year where as the units I mentioned only have two hunts a year. My ultimate unit would hands down be 23.

Brian

What ever unit Lark isn't in is the unit I like. If you've ever smelled a bigfoot or ten thousand dead skunks then leave the area quickly.Lark will stumble upon you and you'll have to listen to all the stories he's made up over the years.

Unit 22 with 23 a close second. You should really have all your friends and family put in for these units.

Not worth your time

Unit 22 with 23 a close second. You should really have all your friends and family put in for these units.

Definitely agree

well IMO, the Dec hunts are not what they use to be and are not what everyone has them jacked up to be. the Thanksgiving hunt the G&F added a couple years has made the Dec hunt a tougher hunt. The best thing about the Dec hunts is the cooler weather, later sunrise which offers a little more sleep and the fewer hunters. With that said I would go with one of the units that is NOT an "alternative management" unit (31, 36C, etc) because these units have 3 times the tags in Dec (125+) that the other units have (40 +/-). Yes there is a CHANCE the rut MIGHT kick in the last week of the hunt but mother nature does not always cooperate with that hope. Good luck.

With that said I would go with one of the units that is NOT an "alternative management" unit (31, 36C, etc) because these units have 3 times the tags in Dec (125+) that the other units have (40 +/-).

The flip is that the alt mgt units will have relatively fewer permits in the earlier hunts than the cash cow units like 33. One has to think that all the tags over all the seasons in the non-alt units will ultimately negatively impact the buck:doe ratios and the buck age classes.