standman

Journal of My January Hunts

Brian - thanks for keeping us updated with your journal. Good luck!

That is a really nice buck your friend got. What was the inside spread?

Don't know what the inside spread is. The outside spread was the only measurement that we took on the buck.

Look like fresh scrapes!

So what book u reading?

If I said I would probably get my man card taken away. LOL. It was a Christmas gift from my niece so reading it is a must. It's called Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. :ph34r: :ph34r: :D :D

Brian

You ever tried to rattle?? Heard that it works in mexico for coues.

You ever tried to rattle?? Heard that it works in mexico for coues.

A little with no luck. Have tried calling too, called in does no bucks. Called in and killed a mule deer a few years go using the primos can bleat and a grunt call.

Brian

come on Brian that is not a mule deer. we all know mule deer hunters are only concerned with outside spread. outside spread doesn't count for anything. we need to know what the inside spread is so we have some reference. I am guessing 15. let us know and thanks.

come on Brian that is not a mule deer. we all know mule deer hunters are only concerned with outside spread. outside spread doesn't count for anything. we need to know what the inside spread is so we have some reference. I am guessing 15. let us know and thanks.

Ha Ha! When he picks his antlers back up from the taxidermist I'll have him check and let you know.

Brian

Brian - thanks for keeping us updated with your journal. Good luck!

That is a really nice buck your friend got. What was the inside spread?

Inside spread is 16 4/8 between the beams.

Brian

Well today was a better day. At 1115 am had a little 3x3 come through at 12 yards. He stopped at one of the five scrapes that is within 30 yards of my blind. He sniffed it a little then moved on. I let him walk, to the dismay of my dad when I told him. :lol: Then I had a doe and a fawn come through at 21 yards at 1230 pm. Fun day. Even got to finish my book. :) Also jumped a deer off one of the five scrapes before daylight.

Brian

a question? Are the scrapes usually close to the rubs? I'm finding lots of fresh rubs but not any scrapes. I'm hunting a little lower that you. lots of cactus and juniper.

thanks,

a question? Are the scrapes usually close to the rubs? I'm finding lots of fresh rubs but not any scrapes. I'm hunting a little lower that you. lots of cactus and juniper.

thanks,

In the spots I'm hunting there are very few rubs. I couldn't tell you if one contributes to the other or vice versa.

Brian

Today I just had a doe and a fawn come through at 940 am at 12 yards. This spot doesn't have a lot of deer in the area so I'm not suprised at how few deer I'm seeing. What is there is several really nice bucks (minus the one my cousin killed :) ). So I'm not going to see a lot of deer in this spot. It's just about patience and waiting them out.

Tomorrow my dad will be back to sitting with me. So hopefully he can bring us some luck and we can get another one down.

Brian

Today my dad was to go with me, but he didn't feel well this morning. First off I had a 2x2 come through at 10:15 at 15 yards. Neat little buck. Then at 11:30 had a spike come through bird dogging with his nose on the ground. At 12:40pm had a 70ish 3x3 come through with his nose on the ground. I sure wish my dad was there because any legal buck is all he wants and this would have been a good day for that.

Tomorrow I will be by myself again hoping for the big boy to show up. It will be my last day till Friday. So hopefully something good will happen.

Brian

I got to my spot this morning and what a surprise, a thin blanket of snow and high wind. To start off at about 830 a doe and a fawn showed up to my right on there way in front of me. As they got right in front of me, I hear a buck grunting coming from back and to my left. As he approached, I peeked out side my side window and there stood a tall, deep forked 2x2 with one thumb. The doe and fawn in front of me are just staring at him as he then cuts behind the blind and I can see him no more. The doe and fawn turn and leave the way they came.

Not five minutes later the same doe comes trotting in front of me, and then I here the grunts of the buck coming following her. He is the same buck and now he is 17 yards away. However, I let him pass too ;). Real nice deer but still not what I'm looking for.

Throughout the morning, a few more does and fawns come through but no bucks. Got out of my blind at noon as it was time to head back home.

It was a great first week of hunting for 2012. One good buck down, one pig, and a lot of good experieces. Had an awesome time.

Will be back sitting hoping for a good buck to come through on Friday. See ya then.

Oh will be scoring that buck tomorrow and will post a score.

Brian