Sign in to follow this  
songdog11

the big and the little.

Deos anyone shoot a 338 win mag? I have a geart rifle I love to shoot in 338 and would like some imput on its effectiveness on those little deer.

is that "bigger" than a 300 RUM or a 30-378? plenty of guys hunt them with those cartridges. just make sure you shoot them in the ribs. anything else and you are going to loose a lot of meat and there is not that much meat on these little deer to begin with.

I watched a 90" buck take 3 slugs from a 33 in october. He was never hit great, but those slugs sure made him sick. He didn't go far.

The 338 isn't super flat though and is a little over kill. Neck that rig down to 30 cal and you've got your rig!

how far do you plan on shooting? plenty of coues taken at great distances with 243 and 25-06 calibers. shot placement, scopes, turrets and solid rests are probably more important in lethality than caliber size.

I've shot a few Coues deer with the .338. IMO, if you like the gun and you shoot it well, shoot it! Don't let anyone convince you otherwise. Sure, maybe there's such thing as "too much gun". But I'd be MUCH more concerned over too little of a gun.

If you don't hit shoulder with the .338, it doesn't absorb much energy on a Coues deer. Just pokes a hole. So anything in the body other than the heart or lungs, in my experience, it usually required a follow-up shot. It usually takes a little more than a Coues deer to slow 200+ grains down. I have, however, seen marginal shots on elk with the .338 that really slowed them down fast. Kinda expected, I guess.

I agree that if you hit them in the shoulder, especially an opposite shoulder, you're gonna lose some meat. But my 25-06 with Accubonds does the same thing.

Here's a 225gr Hornady SP that I hit a Coues buck with at 500yds. He was quartered pretty hard away. The bullet entered behind the last rib and traveled up through the body. Took out a little bit of one lung, broke the far shoulder and lodged in the hide on the far side- IMO exactly what the bullet was designed to do. Maybe not the best bullet choice but I wasn't reloading at the time and they were shooting really well out of that rifle. But that was the only .338 round I ever recovered from the several Coues bucks shot with it.

post-500-0-56503700-1324571872_thumb.jpg

how far do you plan on shooting? plenty of coues taken at great distances with 243 and 25-06 calibers. shot placement, scopes, turrets and solid rests are probably more important in lethality than caliber size.

Sorry, Chris, I'm a .243 hater.

Wow thank you all I know the 338 isnt a 7mm but from what ive seen at 500 it shoots plenty flat. I have a 243 its nice it shoots great but how well does it deliver between 400 and 500. I dont really know I have always shot yotes and kitties with it.

To add to my post, I forgot to mention that I needed to put another round in that buck. Yes, placement means a lot but I didn't "miss" by much at 500yds. A different bullet would have made it a one shot kill, IMO.

I understand why flat shooting is better. But with turrets and confidence in your rifle it's just as effective as the flattest shooting rifle out there.

As for the .243, the discussion can go back and forth on its effectiveness. I also think you can kill a coues with a spoon if you hit it hard enough in the right spot. I'll just say that I think there are more effective rounds/rifle combos that are just as easy to shoot.

Jake - your 2nd sentence needs to be edited to as follows, "IMO, if you like the gun, DON'T MIND THE RECOIL and you shoot it well, shoot it!"

Jake - your 2nd sentence needs to be edited to as follows, "IMO, if you like the gun, DON'T MIND THE RECOIL and you shoot it well, shoot it!"

Yes. Guess that's what I meant with "....and you shoot it well.."

I love to shoulder my 338. It kicks, but its a slow push not a hard snap. The only time my gun hurts me is in my wallet when I pay 50-75$ a box for ammo.

I've only killed coues with 6mm and .243, two with each gun. 450 was the furthest shot and it took 2. Both are good guns.