Sign in to follow this  
sergio88

Tiburon island Ram

My hunter just killed on Tiburon Island Yesterday. Here in Hermosillo waiting for the biologist to plug and take care of some paper work. One down...one more ram to go! Will fill everyone in with the story just thought i'd share some pics w/ everyone.

post-2952-0-75953100-1324445633_thumb.jpg

post-2952-0-80738700-1324445831_thumb.jpg

post-2952-0-64979200-1324445904_thumb.jpg

post-2952-0-16272800-1324446015_thumb.jpg

post-2952-0-15928600-1324446067_thumb.jpg

My dream North American hunt. I would go tomorrow if I had the extra substantial $$ needed to hunt TI.

Hammer of a ram. Congrats to the hunter.

GREAT looking ram!

Congrats to you all and thanks for sharing the success with us.

Can't wait for the story and best of luck in dropping the hammer on another bruiser.

Sergio88:

A beautiful ram. Congratulations to the hunter and to those who helped him.

It seems like 100 years ago, but I "covered" the stocking of bighorns and javelinas on Tiburon Island for the Tucson Citizen and was there when the first sheep were captured and released. The animals were captured on the mainland and transported to the island by biologists on loan from the New Mexico game department.

The last time I was there was in the late 1970s or early 1980s and we were returning from a fishing trip at Abreojos, on the Pacific side of Baja California, and looked down and saw a landing strip that hadn't been there a year earlier. We landed our Cessna to see if we might try fishing there on our next trip, and were ordered to leave by Mexican soldiers with machine guns.

The sheep obviously did very well, but I've heard that the javelinas did not survive. Is that so? Does the island still have a lot of huge mule deer? One final question: before sheep were introduced, the Mexican government forced all the Seris to move off the island. Did they return?

Bill Quimby

Bill,

Since you were involved during the sheep introduction down there, I have to ask, do you know Dr. Manuel J Chee?

The Seris are on the island as well.

It was so long ago, I don't remember any of the people who were there. I wasn't involved in the transplant. I was only at the gathering site for four or five hours, just long enough to take a few photos and interview three or four people.

I suspected that it wouldn't be long before the Seris moved back.

Bill Quimby

I suspected that it wouldn't be long before the Seris moved back.

Bill Quimby

I was just talking about the Seris just the other night with family that was visiting from Hermosillo. My family used to fish commercially off the coast of Kino. (Amongst other locations) This was back when sea turtles were abundant and legal to take.

Anyhow, the Seris have been known for a long time for their ironwood sculptures. Back then they were all carved by hand with simple tools and polished with rocks and glass. Nowadays, the sculptures are more "mass produced" with modern tooling and such.

Well, I vividly remember as a little boy, riding bareback on a very large ironwood sculpture of a bighorn ram carved by the Seris. My family still is in possesion of it and it is actually signed by the arist. It is made out of a sigle piece of wood and is very heavy as you may imagine. This is one that I guess is from the sixties. I would love to own that someday.

The winter after the year we were ordered off Tiburon, we landed at a little settlement on the Sonora side, directly off the south end of the island. I've forgotten its name, it could have been Punta Sueca, but it doesn't matter. The Mexican government had built a half dozen little houses out of concrete blocks and put in a well and a water storage tank there. They had been built since our last trip, but the Seris had removed all the doors and burned them, and broken all the windows, and were camping on the beach. I bought an ironwood bighorn ram about 12 inches tall and a shark about six inches long from the carvers. Neither piece was signed, but both were definitely handmade. I still have them.

Bill Quimby

Beautiful Ram,congrats to everyone involved.