gotcoues

Road Hunting

I thought I was clear on the law, but it seems there are many different opinions on how to interpret the law.

Driving from glassing spot to glassing spot and looking for game along the way = LEGAL

Driving around solely for the purpose of finding game = NOT LEGAL

Spotting an animal from a long ways off and hoping in the truck to cut the distance down = NOT LEGAL

It seems that a lot of people have the opinion you can drive around all you want looking for game as long as you step off the road to shoot it. Is this correct?

My views have changed on my interpretation of road hunting, I used to be starkly against it. I think now however, I don't see the real harm in it and as long as you have to get out of the vehicle and step off the road then I guess I don't really care anymore. I see this method a lot as we usually park, climb up to a high spot and start glassing. I/we (hunting partners)see a lot of road hunting going on when we use this method.

I'm starting to have the itch of going in a little deeper to avoid the masses (perhaps my first backpack hunt next fall). Anyone who uses this method of hunting surely benefits from the all the road hunting going on I would have to believe.

I would love to get opinions of legality and people's own beliefs in the art of "road hunting".

Based on your interpretation wouldn't about 90% of the rifle antelope hunters be breaking the law?

"Spotting an animal from a long ways off and hoping in the truck to cut the distance down = NOT LEGAL"

Really?? You may be right since you are using a vehicle to aid in the take of game, but that seems to be an interpretation that would classify a lot of hunters as illegal. Love to hear a game wardens take on this.

So if in the morning you glass up a buck over a mile away, and there is not a reasonable way to stalk him and in the afternoon you drive to a differnt spot to get a better vantage point and then spot him again, you cant shoot the buck???? That is crazy...

• Like 1

Look on page 101 in the fall hunting regs this is what it states:

TAKE/HUNT FROM A VEHICLE

(ARS 17-301 B, R12-4-319) Pages 104 and 121

No person may take wildlife from a motor vehicle (including watercraft and aircraft, except as permitted by commission order, and under the provisions of the Challenged Hunter Access Mobility Permit Commision Rule (R12-4-217). "Take" as defined by law, includes persuing, Shooting, Hunting, and killing wildlife. You are unlawfully using a vihicle to take wildlife if you intentionally drive around untill you see the animal you wish to harvest and then make an attempt to "take". "Road hunting" is illegal: so is persuing wildlife with a vehicle, chasing or heading off moving wildlife with a vehicle, and driving off road to get closer to wildlife. You do not have to shoot from a vehicle to be in violation.

Now from what this states is if I am going from a to b or just driving around ( face it do you really believe the warden is going to believe you were going from a to B) and I see an animal and jump out and shoot from the SIDE of the road then I am breaking the law. Now it says intentionally drive around untill you see the animal you wish to harvest and then make an attempt to "take". So does that mean I am driving from a to b and see a great buck and have my BOW and I make an attempt to take which I stalk the deer that means I am in violation.

There is alot of loop holes to fill and face it we all can not be perfect. Heck I grew up driving around with my dad looking for game so does that make me an ILLEGAL ROAD HUNTER? Who knows only the game warden will make the call when it comes to it.

"Spotting an animal from a long ways off and hoping in the truck to cut the distance down = NOT LEGAL"

Really?? You may be right since you are using a vehicle to aid in the take of game, but that seems to be an interpretation that would classify a lot of hunters as illegal. Love to hear a game wardens take on this.

From what I take it as if you jump in your vehicle and drive on a road to get closer NO you are not breaking a law but if you drive OFF ROAD (no existing road or 2 trak) then yes you are.

I took road hunting to be sitting in the back of the truck in my lawn chair, drinking my pepsi looking for animals as my buddy Zeke drives along. I am always looking for game as I drive the mountains or trails. Is scouting then considered road hunting?

One thing that needs to be done when you are driving around is have your bow or gun in a case. I know of some friends of mine that have been ticketed in 36a for having there bow out of the case, one time it was on a quad with bungee cords....dont really like that guy....JMO

I don't like the azgfd definition one bit. As long as you have your unloaded firearm in a separate compartment or cased outside of easy reach, and you then cut the engine and completely exit the vehicle and get off of the road in order to take said game animal... what's the problem? With the standing definition, you could interpret that every time youo drive to the hunting area you are using your vehicle to aid in taking game. Ridiculous. Another trampled liberty.

The law is vague for a reason. It allows the department the ability to bust who they want, when they want. The way it's written, yes, we're all in violation. But each warden will interpret it to fit his/her agenda at the time.

I'll continue to hunt the way I hunt and if some warden wanted to bust me for "road hunting", he probably could, based on the way it's written. Just use common sense and you'll be fine. I think we all know when someone (or ourselves) is road hunting. It's usually pretty obvious. Some won't deny it. Some will justify it to their death as they "just happened upon an animal while driving from point A to B."

If you feel like you could be cited for road hunting, you're probably road hunting. If you constantly find yourself driving from point A to B to C to D and then back again throughout the day, you're probably road hunting. We're all opportunists. I shot a buck during a December hunt while driving back to camp. No big deal to me. But I know what I was doing and what I wasn't. Just be honest with yourself and use common sense.

Now from what this states is if I am going from a to b or just driving around ( face it do you really believe the warden is going to believe you were going from a to B) and I see an animal and jump out and shoot from the SIDE of the road then I am breaking the law. Now it says intentionally drive around untill you see the animal you wish to harvest and then make an attempt to "take". So does that mean I am driving from a to b and see a great buck and have my BOW and I make an attempt to take which I stalk the deer that means I am in violation.

There is alot of loop holes to fill and face it we all can not be perfect. Heck I grew up driving around with my dad looking for game so does that make me an ILLEGAL ROAD HUNTER? Who knows only the game warden will make the call when it comes to it.

I tried to make the same points in the other thread -- to no avail. It will all come down to what a WM deems as "intentionally." ;)

I go road hunting all the time.......IT'A THREE-FIVE HOUR DRIVE TOO THE DEER CAMPS ;)

No but really, I play the real "road hunters" to my advantage when I'm out in the field, I laugh at them but to each his own, like said by others I guess theres a time and place, I stand up for all of our hunting rights!...USUALLY, ur on the right side of the law if you just use common sense-SOME road hunters are just plain stupid, just like some everyday people are...and "you can't fix stupid"

From what I see in the field, I do think A LOT of hunters are breaking the law. However, how does G &F F prove intent. Again, my views on road hunting have changed and I believe the laws regarding road hunting need to be more black and white.

Sun Devil, I do believe a lot of antelope hunters are breaking the law as it it written.

Amanda, yes I thought it was illegal if you cut the distance with a vehicle to get out and shoot.

Lance, no I was under the assumption using a vehicle to relocate to a new glassing hill to relocate an animal you were good.

I'm not insisting I'm correct, just looking for opinions and feedback.

i guess i stand corrected on the issue of g&f defining and stating " road hunting" is illegal

so the g&f guy (No names) who loads his atv with freinds and family /with tags and drives around while hunting is illegal also !

i bet -99% of all types of hunters are hunting illegally the way it's stated - interesting

Just posted this in the other thread but figured it is just as relevant here.

In several places (like Alberta) it is illegal to have a loaded gun while in transportation. IE, driving from one glassing spot to the next, your gun must be completely unloaded. If a warden stops your moving vehicle at any time and your gun is loaded, you're in violation.

Whether or not it would cure road hunting problems in Arizona I do not know. Whether or not it would be a good thing, I do not know. Some good points were made in favor of road hunting. It's not a personal choice I make, but then again I'm young and still have the ability to hike forever.

I'm assuming that this would divide a lot of hunters. But it's just something to think about.