Sign in to follow this  
tjhunt2

TJ's 2011 Coues Buck

Well,I had the first coues hunt in 24B and was lucky to harvest this little buck on opening day. After dropping off my partner Scott I decided I wasn't in any shape to climb the mountain he was heading up due to my knee not recovered and healed from surgery. I drove to a spot close and pulled in to some mesquite trees and this buck stepped out of the trees. You would have thought it was my first deer hunt. I couldn't hold the cross hairs still so I got back in my vehicle and got out the tripod. He was still there watching me. I was shaking so bad and shot a little to far back. We're talking 75yrd maybe. He layed down and another 4x4 stands up. I get my radio out and call Scott. He heard the shot and was trying to get his scope on one he jumped at the same time. I asked him if he wanted the 4x4 that wouldn't leave. I drive back and pick him up. When we get back I have him watch the spot as I go investigate and jump my deer. I shoot and miss. I head up the hill where I last saw him and he jumps up again and I miss. By this time I'm thinking about letting him have some time and call Scott to get up here and grab my pack. While I'm waiting on Scott to climb the 400 yards I just traveled on my knee without feeling a thing wrong. I start to hear some heavy breathing and figured it was me since I was so excited and my heart pounding thru my chest. After holding my breath a couple times I figure it was the buck right in front of me in the brush. Scott finally gets up and I had him come in from the other side. He says he can see my buck and he looks like he's getting ready to bolt. I walk in and finish him off with a neck shot. Scott carries him down the hill and my knee gets feeling back in it and it wasn't good. He beat me back by 10 minutes and I just had myself to carry. Didn't have my camera and these aren't the best pics but here are a couple after I skinned him quick and put on ice. A few weeks later I shot an archery cow elk and didn't take any pictures of her. Just got lazy I guess.

post-1903-0-77646300-1322972340_thumb.jpg

post-1903-0-59653000-1322972352_thumb.jpg

Congrats again Tj on your nice buck. Thanks again for your help on my hunt. Hope that knee of yours is getting back to normal so you can go chase some pigs soon. (Hopefully you got drawn)

Congratulations, TJ. Even with a bum knee you collected a very nice buck and continued your what-must-be-a-record string of Arizona elk kills, both just weeks apart. I'm impressed.

Bill Quimby

Nice job TJ, aint getting older a bitch? The mind is willing but the body doesn't always agree. Way to tough it out and take a great buck. I keep looking at that rack - great character - much like the character that put him down. Big congrats, and way to keep doing what you love.

nice job TJ. I understand about the knee, my feels great now - that because I got it worked on in Sep, it was so bad I had to turn down a couple fires at the end of the season, I couldn't hump my pack.

TJ, that's a beautiful deer, congratulations. You have had another great year. Ain't gitten' old a bitch! My left knee reminds me that I am not as young as I used to be. The problem is that my knee usually waits until I am a couple canyons away from the road before it makes its reminders. Thanks for posting the story. Now get ready to put in for elk again and keep that string going.

Wow! TJ great deer! AND what do ya mean you didn't get a picture of the archery elk??? ;) Congratulations on your success, I think Doug hit the nail on the head when he said "Good things happen to good people" Take care of that knee!