Sign in to follow this  
Airbusdriver

Spotting Scopes: Angled -vs- Straight Eyepiece?

I am considering the purchase of a spotting scope, mostly for the gun range. Given my current limited funds, it will be a relative cheapy (sub$200). We do the majority of our shooting from a bench.

Can I hear some feedback and pros/cons of straight viewfinders versus angled? It seems that the angled eyepieces would be very fatiguing to hover over.

Again..not looking to count nose hairs at 1000 yards, just something I can see my paper targets at about 200 yards.

Thanks

Seems most like the angled eye-piece for longer viewing times (birders, gun range, etc). Less fatigue on the neck.

The straight configuration, IMO is easier to line up quickly and find what you are looking at through binos. This is one of those things that comes down to personal preference.

I always prefer straight...just makes it easier to find the game in the scope. If you plan to digiscope (use your camera to take pics through the scope) it's easier to do through a straight eyepeice (unless you have an adapter that connects camera to scope, then it probably don't make much difference).

I was hesistant to switch to the angled but now that I have it I prefer it. I would say mostly because I do not have to have it as far off from the ground to look through. probably will not matter much if just for the range.