Sign in to follow this  
couesobsession

Use of the word "Harvest"

82 members have voted

1. 1. Is the use of the word "Harvest" correct, when we are really killing the animal?

• No, its use isnt right, call it what it REALLY is.
    • Who cares what word you use? Actions speak louder than words.
    • It's perfectly fine to say harvest, that is what you are essentially doing.

Incidentally, your "words are just the clothes that our ideas wear" is a wonderful phrase. I've spent more than half a century working with and selling words, and I wish I'd said it.

Mr. Quimby,

You are a man of letters and have made a living as such. You are also a gentleman of the highest order; always patient, dignified and kind. Coming from you, this is the highest of compliments. It may be against some Internet norm or protocol to acknowledge your kindness but I don’t care. Thank you.

-Jim

I thank YOU, Jim, for your kind words. You have a genuine and natural talent as a wordsmith, and it would be a shame if you did not pursue it.

As for "We slaughter the pig's (?) in Barter Town... Masta Blasta! LOL" and "Break the deal, face the wheel......" I have absolutely no idea what you guys said. I obviously am several generations behind the times and need to get my grandkids to translate.

Bill Quimby

I obviously am several generations behind the times and need to get my grandkids to translate.

Bill Quimby

Have them translate 'Harvest' while you are at it! :ph34r: :lol: :lol: :P :D

Sorry Bill, I had to.

Incidentally, your "words are just the clothes that our ideas wear" is a wonderful phrase. I've spent more than half a century working with and selling words, and I wish I'd said it.

Mr. Quimby,

You are a man of letters and have made a living as such. You are also a gentleman of the highest order; always patient, dignified and kind. Coming from you, this is the highest of compliments. It may be against some Internet norm or protocol to acknowledge your kindness but I don't care. Thank you.

-Jim

I thank YOU, Jim, for your kind words. You have a genuine and natural talent as a wordsmith, and it would be a shame if you did not pursue it.

As for "We slaughter the pig's (?) in Barter Town... Masta Blasta! LOL" and "Break the deal, face the wheel......" I have absolutely no idea what you guys said. I obviously am several generations behind the times and need to get my grandkids to translate.

Bill Quimby

Bill: Maybe your grandkids could translate, but only if they're fans of the Road Warrior movies. Just a pop-culture reference from the mid 80s. ;) Nothing deep or significant there..... Separately from pop-culture however, as mentioned in a different thread I prefer to use the word 'kill' over 'harvest'. Simply my preference though, and I hold no ill will towards anyone that uses the word harvest.

Also, as a man who has to write LOTS :blink: of business reports, e-mails, etc., I'm continually reminded of how little I understand of the English language (written or verbal). I used to think I was a fairly good writer but for sure, I have much to learn.

S.

:)

Thanks, Stanley. You sent me to Wikipedia where both phrases are mentioned in a report on those Mel Gibson movies.

I also hold no ill will toward those who say they have "harvested" an animal, but I do have trouble suppressing a snicker or two.

Bill Quimby