elkaholic

Whats going on in 10 this yr.

I think it is first come for sitting water, I do now of a time a guide went in and found a holding tank of water a good mile or so off the road and took his client in to sit. They got in there and set up a blind and herd something coming, it was another hunter. The guide told the other hunter they were there first and it was there drinker for that part of the hunt. The other hunter responded with this is my water hole, I built it and brought water here for the past 4 months, then asked if the guide and his hunter had a bull tag, the guide replied yes and the other hunter said so do I good luck and climbed the tree next to there blind and went in his stand. The guide left with his client, I thought it was funny and the other hunter had a great point, I would not of given that spot up even if someone got there first if I had put in all that time and effort to build it.

I think it is first come for sitting water, I do now of a time a guide went in and found a holding tank of water a good mile or so off the road and took his client in to sit. They got in there and set up a blind and herd something coming, it was another hunter. The guide told the other hunter they were there first and it was there drinker for that part of the hunt. The other hunter responded with this is my water hole, I built it and brought water here for the past 4 months, then asked if the guide and his hunter had a bull tag, the guide replied yes and the other hunter said so do I good luck and climbed the tree next to there blind and went in his stand. The guide left with his client, I thought it was funny and the other hunter had a great point, I would not of given that spot up even if someone got there first if I had put in all that time and effort to build it.

Depends. Was it his property? Did he have a right or permission to build it? That becomes a bit of a tough question. If it was on public land, he had no right to construct a drinker, and his time, money and effort was put in "at risk" ... tricky one.

gotta go with - guide and client leave tank and immediatly contact g&f see if hunter repeats same story

Like stated ,pretty sure it is illegal to build your own tank/ water catchment on state land! now haulin water into an established .dry tank/ catchment is a different story.

Did you ever check with game and fish to see if they picked up the antlers?

When I see a sign posted on a tank saying a hunter is present, I don't believe it until I see the actual hunter. If you are in the blind and have a hunter coming into the tank let him know your there, stand up, whistle or something. If your using a ground blind don't leave your crap in expecting it to hold your place. First one to the tank gets it. If you leave for anything, it's up for grabs.

I spent three hours building a ground blind onetime and came back the next afternoon to find another hunter in it. I waved and went on my way.

We did report the situation to game and fish and they will report if anything is found!

I was the hunter in this situation. I'm almost certain these are not anti's. The reason is this is a closed area to vehicles on the boquillas and this person has access to the area. Also these elk are isolated, this was not a rancher they were perched on the hill above obviously glassing these bulls and have been for a couple weeks most likely. They knew when to let out the yelling, and they knew to speed off as fast as possible so I couldn't get a license plat on them. If I give away the location someone would probably have a lot better idea of who it could be or a better lead but I probably won't do that; except the first person with an early rifle tag that wants to hunt these bulls!

It was the Outfitter hooked associated with the rancher no doubt!

I was the hunter in this situation. I'm almost certain these are not anti's. The reason is this is a closed area to vehicles on the boquillas and this person has access to the area. Also these elk are isolated, this was not a rancher they were perched on the hill above obviously glassing these bulls and have been for a couple weeks most likely. They knew when to let out the yelling, and they knew to speed off as fast as possible so I couldn't get a license plat on them. If I give away the location someone would probably have a lot better idea of who it could be or a better lead but I probably won't do that; except the first person with an early rifle tag that wants to hunt these bulls!

It was the Outfitter hooked associated with the rancher no doubt!

I agree with you 100%. There could still be more outfitters with vehicle access to the area, but I'm thinking there's not too many. I had a few responses of hunters with early rifle tags, but nobody seemed interested to hunt these bulls. I'm not sure if any of the bulls were taken today on the early hunt.

I ended the hunt arrowing a 315 bull on Wednesday morning after some friends helped call the bull to 15 yards. We also used a cow decoy which seemed to help keep the elk confused and not run once the elk had spotted us. It was a great hunt and after 12 days of hunting I'm glad it ended with a with a bugling bull coming through the trees!

I wouldn't trust a sign that said hunter on tank either. But if I saw a hunter sitting on the tank I would respect that and leave immediately. Having this "same" truck drive by several times during prime hours tells me he is a douche bag and was doing it on purpose. IF he honestly was not doing it on purpose he is still a douche bag for driving the same road back and forth during prime hours. Either way I think it's BS and sorry to hear about your misfortune. It definitely needs to stop.