Sign in to follow this  
CruiseforCoues

Fire in 24B

i thought part of the problem we have today is that our forests are to thick. thought I read something like 10 times thicker today than 100 years ago. the reason being that the policy was for years and years that every fire that could be put out should be put out as quickly as possible. now 100 years later the forests are way to thick and when there is a fire it is a lot worse than it would have been if nature would have been able to just do its thing without human intervention. most of unit 33 has been burned up at some point in time over the last 10 years and other than Summerhaven I think it is viewed as a good thing.

The east valley was the worse I've ever seen it this morning with smoke. Driving along the Gold Canyon you could not see the Superstitions and on the way home around 9:30 am as well until you got back on the freeway heading west from the junction. The flames were very visible last night from Florence Junction and it seemed to have increased alot with the winds picking up last night. Not sure but I hope this doesn't blow out of control like we have seen in several locations in our state already this year. Fire is good but let's not burn up the whole dang unit. I will keep my thoughts about the forest service, in general, to myself. :)

TJ

Tell me about it. The same thing happened in the Wallow Fire. Some idiot officials decided it was is a small enough area and in a contained canyon that it would be just fine and dandy to let it burn out. What idiots! The forests were dry as tinder, and wind WAS forecasted. Couldnt see that one coming :huh: . I saw a small smoking area a few miles away from the Beeline hwy coming back from fishing not last weekend but the one before. Never heard much about it wondered what it was.

I think your village is calling...

TJ, I agree. I was out dove hunting this morning and thought that it was cloudy and raining on the Superstitions until it got light enough to see what it really was. I didn't know that there was a fire though until just now reading this post.

Tell me about it. The same thing happened in the Wallow Fire. Some idiot officials decided it was is a small enough area and in a contained canyon that it would be just fine and dandy to let it burn out. What idiots! The forests were dry as tinder, and wind WAS forecasted. Couldnt see that one coming :huh: . I saw a small smoking area a few miles away from the Beeline hwy coming back from fishing not last weekend but the one before. Never heard much about it wondered what it was.

Hmmmmmmm? I DIDN'T see you there that day the Wallow fire started. Were you on the 25 road with the 3 Engines watching as the copper column was laying over with 50 mph gusts? Right now im thinking of everyone that was there and that was 9 Men and women including myself and I know every one of them. One of them was the idiot official that decided that is was too dangerous to go into a canyon with no escape routes and safety zones. Im not going to burn myself up for a tree. I dunno where you got your info but you might want to check your facts. Before you go pointing fingers, brush up on your 10 fire fighting standard orders and your 18 watchout situations. Also read the report that was given out by the Forest Supervisor, the timeline provided was given to him by my fellow crew members that were interviewed by law enforcement. Just tired of hearing what happened from everyone else that wasn't there!

Timeline

I am sorrry if what I said offended you. It was in no way directed at firefighters. I appreciate all the life saving, hard, dangerous work you guys did. But pleas, don't assume I'm talking out of my @$$. I was up in the general area when the fire started. I had a pretty good view at it at one point in time, didn't see anyone fighting it, (by then u guys must have been turned back?) then again I couldnt see the road too well. I was told, and this was directly by a forest ranger driving around in his green truck, that they were electing to let it burn out because the risk of it spreading or seriously burning in the pines was "minimal." This seemed odd, considering the tinder dry woods and already howling wind that was forecasted to increase. Now, obviously he was mistaken, but I had no way to know that! I figured they decided on saying it got out of hand to cover their @$$es. Again, I didnt just read someones vindictive post against the USFS and jump on board with their train of thought.

I also am a firefighter and I agree with rogeti we are tired of the stupid people that have no idea what it is like to fight a forest fire. JUST SO YOU KNOW YOU CAN"T JUST RUN IN THERE AND SPRAY WATER ON IT! All these people think they are so smart and think that they can fight fires better than the skilled people that are doing the job. If you think so sign your a$$ up and you run into a VERY STEEP CANYON with the wind blowing 50-60mph. plus you have a slope that is making that fire move even faster. go right ahead and jump on it. GOOD LUCK LET ME KNOW HOW IT WORKS!!!!!!

So let me ask you a question, how do you catch a forest fire that the wind is blowing so hard that the fire is spotting 3 MILES ahead of itself?? They tried to do back burns to slow it down but you get one road secure and you think you have it then little do you know that it is BLOWING UP a mile ahead of where you just secured it. HOW DO YOU STOP IT! Maybe you should do some research on what it is like to fight a fire before you make your self look like an idiot!! :)

Hmmmmmmm? I DIDN'T see you there that day the Wallow fire started. Were you on the 25 road with the 3 Engines watching as the copper column was laying over with 50 mph gusts? Right now im thinking of everyone that was there and that was 9 Men and women including myself and I know every one of them. One of them was the idiot official that decided that is was too dangerous to go into a canyon with no escape routes and safety zones. Im not going to burn myself up for a tree. I dunno where you got your info but you might want to check your facts. Before you go pointing fingers, brush up on your 10 fire fighting standard orders and your 18 watchout situations. Also read the report that was given out by the Forest Supervisor, the timeline provided was given to him by my fellow crew members that were interviewed by law enforcement. Just tired of hearing what happened from everyone else that wasn't there!

Timeline

I am sorrry if what I said offended you. It was in no way directed at firefighters. I appreciate all the life saving, hard, dangerous work you guys did. But pleas, don't assume I'm talking out of my @$$. I was up in the general area when the fire started. I had a pretty good view at it at one point in time, didn't see anyone fighting it, (by then u guys must have been turned back?) then again I couldnt see the road too well. I was told, and this was directly by a forest ranger driving around in his green truck, that they were electing to let it burn out because the risk of it spreading or seriously burning in the pines was "minimal." This seemed odd, considering the tinder dry woods and already howling wind that was forecasted to increase. Now, obviously he was mistaken, but I had no way to know that! I figured they decided on saying it got out of hand to cover their @$$es. Again, I didnt just read someones vindictive post against the USFS and jump on board with their train of thought.

How could you see if anyone was fighting it? It was at the bottom of a canyon and the 25 road was closed to all public. We were parked on the 25 road and no public vehicles went by? then we left and tried to fight the spot fire but never could reach it safely before dark. We took a transport truck with a dozer down an old two track looking for the fire and found it right at dark, but with the 50 mph winds snapping off trees left and right we decided to hit it in the morning. And again we didn't see any people on that road. And by the way the ranger was not out there. The ranger drives a white ford explorer!!!! Did you get a chance to read the timeline or read anything else or are you just still talking because you know what you know and that is gospel!!!!!!!!!!!

I will put my 2 cents in since i work for the forest service in Globe. To all my fellow firefighters that work for the forest service and are members of coueswhitetail. We are going to be damed if we do and damed if we don't. So don't get hung up on all these folks that have no idea what political BS that we have to go through to do our job. If people had an understanding of how fire works on the landscape, they would notice that there has been no HUGE BLACK SMOKE COLUMN coming up of the Frio fire. All the smoke has been white, witch indicates a ground a ground fire. So to all of you that have issues with the way the Forest Service deals with fires, go and talk with your congressmen and get all the enviornmentalist off our back, so we can get some thinning and some prescribed burning and we will not have catistrofic wildfires like the Wallow. If any of you that think that you could do a better job at fighting fires and want to see what BS we have to deal with, go to any forest service office and they will give you the web site you can apply for a job. My guess is that most of you couldn't handle what we do. Just my 2 cents

Let me start of by saying that I am not a firefighter, I have some friends who are, however. I dont know that much about firefighting. But I do know these things:

#1 When I camp i'm usually backpacking in, as in all I have is whats on my back. I make my camps wherever I please. By "in the general area" I mean I was on the lip of the canyon looking down. Again I said I didnt have aview of the roads. But there was no Helos making drops, no one that I could see with my binos (15x swarovski) no large equipment. I understand if it takes longer to get helos in there than when I was there.

#2There must be more than one forest ranger because he definately was in those iconic green trucks. Not saying that it was that ranger specifically (white ford explorer) but I dont know what the heck he was doing up there if only one ranger is supposed to be in a given area at a given time. I talked to him when I went back up to my parked truck.

#3 THIS WAS NEVER AIMED AT THE FIREFIGHTERS! I KNOW YOU GUYS HAVE A TOUGH JOB AND THAT ITS NOT YOUR FAULT IF ONE GETS OUT OF YOUR HANDS! I ALWAYS DIRECTED IT AT THE POLITICIANS WHO MAKE IT SO HARD FOR YOU TO DO YOUR JOB!

That all I have to say, say what you like back, I don't have anything to prove. So I'll keep my fat mouth shut from now on.

Look at what 3c turned into after the rodeo fire. That fire was the best thing that ever happened to the animals in that unit. Just Gods way of cleaning house.

Wow. The boys in green really CAN'T win.

The Rodeo and Wallow fire blow up during dry pre-monsoon conditions from a few idiots and turn catastrophic in a neglected and very dry early summer forest, and it's the FS's fault for not maintaining the resource.

A lightning fire during one of the wettest monsoon season seasons on record is allowed to gently ground burn the north slope of a highly overgrown mountain, ripe for a catastrophic fire, and it's the FS's fault for not getting right on it and getting it out.

Gimme a break. We need them to let more of these monsoon season fires burn as long as they will on their own while conditions are right...

Fire is GOOD. IMHO, they should burn the whole Pinal Mountain range if they can, while they can.

Timeline

The USNFS is a worthless bunch of one bullet Barney Fife beaurocrats! We need to legislate them out of forest management in the west and let the individual states manage their own resources! I don'tr like their attitude of it's their forest and we are just visting civilians when we pay their inflated salaries! Kissing their @$$ on a public forum is humiliating!

Wow. The boys in green really CAN'T win.

The Rodeo and Wallow fire blow up during dry pre-monsoon conditions from a few idiots and turn catastrophic in a neglected and very dry early summer forest, and it's the FS's fault for not maintaining the resource.

A lightning fire during one of the wettest monsoon season seasons on record is allowed to gently ground burn the north slope of a highly overgrown mountain, ripe for a catastrophic fire, and it's the FS's fault for not getting right on it and getting it out.

Gimme a break. We need them to let more of these monsoon season fires burn as long as they will on their own while conditions are right...

Fire is GOOD. IMHO, they should burn the whole Pinal Mountain range if they can, while they can.

If it was burning completely on the ground, then let it burn. From my vantage point the smoke looked black the first couple of days that it burned, but it couldve just been that. Where I live I have literally gotten MAYBE three good rains this year, and the Pinals are wetter, but I didnt know that they were THAT much wetter this year. I havent seen that many storms over the Pinals before this fire was burning. If its on the ground, and there is no chance of a crown fire, then let it burn. But there needs to be a good number of manpower there ready to pounce if it gets out of hand. I'm just sayin....