Sign in to follow this  
maximus

Late Hunt

Hello everyone,

i got drawn for the late hunt north of Heber, is the weekend after thanksgiving, i have only one question.

how do you guys manage to keep your water and other foods and liquids from freezing? i imagine that if the temperature will be in the 10's at night staff will freeze, a couple of years ago i was bowhunting and the low was 20 and all my water frozed.

i have a jumping jack trailer, not a heated trailer.

let me know what has work best for you.

thank you in advance.

It all really depends on the year how cold it will get. I've seen it in the single digits on that hunt and I've also seen it flood with rain. Bring an ice chest to keep water in to keep it from freezing. No ice, just stuff you don't want to freeze.

Last year in Unit 27 it was 19 below and everything froze. Our heater went out on the camp trailer, fortuntley it defrosted pretty quickly after the sun came up. Try instead of putting ice use frozen gallon jugs in the ice chest and no ice. The jugs will refreeze at night. 5 years ago we got a foot of snow while hunting.

thanks guys, anymore tips??

Haul a pair of insulated coveralls in your pack if you are going to be glassing. The thinsulate wrangler camo pants from VF factory outlet are pretty handy when it gets that cold, inexpensive too. Throw a hand warmer(that actually works) in your bino bag before you head out. That will prevent condensation building up on the glass. If it is real cold, most cameras/camcorders won't work without being warmed up for a while. If your's wont work stick it in your inside coat pocket for a half hour. Make sure your water bottles aren't frozen before you head out all day. It is really frustrating waiting for ice to thaw when you are thirsty.