Sign in to follow this  
azcouesandelk

Purple Prickly Pear?

While out quail hunting this last weekend I found an area that was loaded with purple prickly pear. I have seen it in other place most of which is higher than 4000 feet. My question is why is it that there is this purple prickly pear and if it is its own line?

While out quail hunting this last weekend I found an area that was loaded with purple prickly pear.  I have seen it in other place most of which is higher than 4000 feet.  My question is why is it that there is this purple prickly pear and if it is its own line?

They are scattered throughout AZ....not sure what causes it. I've typically seen them in the higher elevations as well.

I believe it's caused by stress. Certain kinds of prickly pear will turn purple when stressed. I have one in my yard that will turn purple when it's really dry and then if I water it, or it rains it changes back to a more green color.

Amanda

Ok that exlains why I saw the purple prickly pear at lower elevations this past weekend since it was dry down there. When up north thought would that mean that they are stressed from the cold and that is why they turn purple?

I also turn purple when I am under stress. Usually happens when I am dry.

I believe the "purple" prickly pear is known as the "Santa Rita". They are hihgly prized for their decorative value throughout Az. I actually do not know if it is a distinct species or a stressed prickly pear catus. I know who would know, someone who works at the boyce thompson arboretum :o

Ernest

I believe Crotalas may be on the right track. I have read that there are several different species with blue pads other than the Engleman's Prickly Pear that is so prevelant in our state. a couple of possibilities are: Pancake Prickly Pear, and the Brown Spined P.P.

Though they could also be Engleman's as well.

Engleman's is the most common and the largest - in overall size and the size of the pads. If you're looking at a different species, it probably has considerably smaller pads than what you are used to seeing.

Mike

According to Anne Orth Epple's book, PLANTS OF ARIZONA. ( LOC #94-78616 ). Optuntia violacera var. santa-rita. aka purple prickley pear, blue-blade, or dollar cactus.Color varies with drought or lower temps. Grows appx. 4000 ft or lower in elevation. 28 species of Optutia in AZ. Hope this helps. Book is available at state parks bookstores & I reccomend it highly. jg

Wow!

WOW is right. About everytime I get on this site I learn something new...Thanks guy's ;)