Sign in to follow this  
Younghunter

Lake Powell

We are going to Lake Powell on the 22nd and I was wanting to do a little fishing. I have'nt fished much and hardly ever with any success. I was wondering if anyone had advice on whether to use bait or lures and how deep to fish. I don't care what type of fish I catch. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks, Wesley

I prefer to fish for smallies, cats, and stripers. For smallies, I've had good luck with grubs on jig heads. Mostly watermelon candy/seed colors. At night, cats can be caught on any catfish bait from the shore. On stripers we usually use frozen anchovies. I've only caught one walleye out of Powell, on a hand poured grub in watermelon candy color. Have fun and good luck!

+ 1 on both accounts. Wayneswords is outstanding. He's a great guy too. If the smallies are biting, which they should be right now, don't worry too much about what you are throwing. I prefer gitzits in any color that resembles a crawfish, but most any grub on 1/8-1/4 oz. jighead will be poison. The better fish should be in about 20-30 feet of water right now, but I haven't been yet so I would experiment with depths. From what I hear the striper are a little fickle right now. But drowning anchovies is a fun, low impact sport for sure!

Thanks a lot everyone for your advice. We will see how it goes. Wesley