Younghunter

Glassing Mule Deer

Does anyone have tips on how to glass mule deer. Wesley

I will be hunting late october and early november. I'm probably going to hunt all different types of terrain from pine to desert with everything in between all of it will probably be rough hilly mountainous country. Thank you, Wesley

In general, if you hike up a hill to glass, look uphill for coues and downhill for muleys. I have found plenty of muleys in the steep stuff though. If it is a unit that has both mule deer and coues, the muleys will most likely be in the flats and rolling hills.

Wesley, I think Amanda sells a video on this website about Glassing. It is done by Duwane Adams and really is a good video. Regardless of what type of terrain you are glassing, you need to break down the area into sections and pick it apart. Naturally muleys are much easier to see than coues deer just because of their size. always be looking for "shapes/colors/movement" while looking in your bino's. Make sure your bino's are on a tripod, it will really really increase the amount of deer you see.............Allen..........

Wesley, I think Amanda sells a video on this website about Glassing. It is done by Duwane Adams and really is a good video. Regardless of what type of terrain you are glassing, you need to break down the area into sections and pick it apart. Naturally muleys are much easier to see than coues deer just because of their size. always be looking for "shapes/colors/movement" while looking in your bino's. Make sure your bino's are on a tripod, it will really really increase the amount of deer you see.............Allen..........

Thanks very much for the advice. Wesley

Get high and glass down below you. Mostly in the flats but don't disregard the flanks of some of the hills.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Get high and glass down below you!

Now that is what I am talking about! You will see all kinds of "things" if you get high first! I think Lark would agree with me on this as will others...

Get high and glass down below you!

Now that is what I am talking about! You will see all kinds of "things" if you get high first! I think Lark would agree with me on this as will others...

[/quote/]

Thanks for the info but I was wondering if there was more specific and less commonly known advice, as I know most of the basics. Thanks, Wesley

I would first try to locate bucks by cutting sign in the area, lots of roads & waters to check. Once you find some sign, pull out the topo or look around for the best place to get. Then get up there before it gets light & glass (use a tripod or forget it) for several hours. Do it again that evening & the next day. If you can't find them, try getting a different angle or sometimes staying put is the right answer, even though it feels wrong.

This time of year look for country where the Monsoon has put down some moisture. Muleys love chasing that green grass in country that is extremely flat & they get big doing it. After the grass dries up things change & they tend to start browsing more.

Keep in mind, if you find tracks they are there, you just aren't seeing them.

I hope this helps a little.

Wesley,

It was great talking to you.

Best of luck on your upcoming hunt and

Don't forget to follow Allens advice and

look into Duwane Adams' material.

(Take lots of pictures too!)

Hector, thank you for taking the time to call and give me advice. I am indeed grateful to you for your kindness. Wesley

New member, long time lurker, have the early hunt 12AE on the Kaibab.

Took the glassing class with Duwane. However, not clear on what my mix should be on glassing vs. moving. Seems Duwane is a glass and move kind of guy, but he has probably dozens of good spots to check out.

I have scouted the unit, but you could spend months scouting the unit. I take it I should stick to the burn areas, but are there any other good glassing spots outside the burn?

Anyway, if I have a good spot, should I stick with it for an hour? Two hours? All day and hope something moves in or gets bumped in by other hunters?

In my past hunts, I seem to get wandering legs and cover lots of ground but not really see much. Curious what people on guided hunts do? Are they glassing from the truck? Walking a little or a lot to new spots and glassing from there?

Anyway, thanks for the help.