Shiras

White Sands coues?

I used to travel that highway alot... and those deer would be there every evening... Just east of Hondo... I am suprised this did not happen earlier... :)

jason

Tommy,

I was just looking at the rack with the lack of branching. Can you tell from the ears , body size, color? Just curious.-Shiras

Shiras...you can tell by the color of the forehead, the ears and the body size. The color of the muledeer body on the top pic is very similar to the one my son took. Also the black coloration on the chest of the muledeer compared to a ghost.;)

deer3.jpg

Here's a pic of my sons buck, notice the fore head compared to couesdeer pic on the bottom.

titosbuck2005007.jpg

stevescoues2005.jpg

That deer certainly does have a whitetail rack, but everything else about him says Muley. To bad we can't see his tail. In this part of the state, there isn't any Coues anyway, but there is some Texas Whitetails. Possible hybrid? I doubt it, just a whitetail wanna be. :lol: I hate poachers! ;)

Muley.

Poachers suck ;)

Here in CA if they keep killin bears for the bladders it's going to reduce the quota for us hunters.

Tommy,

Yeah, I see what you are saying. The snout is grey or brownish all the way down to his nose and the picture of your son's buck has no dichotomous branching on the G2's (which I thought all mulies had for some reason). I guess I haven't seen enough of either species to make a distinction.

Holy crap! Am I glad I didn't see his deer with a NM unit 23 "APRWTD" tag! ;)-Shiras

Ronnie, I think you need to take a class in deerology 101, that picture of that deer on the ground reeks of carp. If it didn't even have antlers on it's head I could tell the difference. TONS of muleys don't branch on the G2's and some of them even have short G2's but that doesn't make them a coues or even a hybrid for that matter. Some coues bucks have forked G2's, but again that doesn't mean they're part carp. You should be able to instantly tell the difference between a carp and coues just by the body color, ear size and size. I thought you'd hung around this site long enough to tell the difference.

Josh,

Maybe I'm just not observant. Like I said I was looking at the rack and to me it look whitetailish. I've seen mule deer in pictures here, and in person 2 times, in my 35 years of existence. My mule deer expertise as a whole is virtually non-existent.

Here in this part of my state I don't HAVE to tell instantly whether or not it's a WT or MD (since there are only eastern WT) thus my senses wouldn't be as acute as someone who lives in md/wt country.

There is good news though, I CAN tell the difference between a mountain lion and a bear.

;) -Shiras

Ronnie you crack me up! I guess I can see why there is a little confusion. Here in AZ we HAVE to know the diff, if you don't and you pull the trigger on the wrong specie you could get in a heap of unwanted trouble.