Sign in to follow this  
Red Rabbit

Mormon Lake Elk, Rainbow and Sunset

Monday evening, we tried to get close to a few bulls out in the middle of Mormon Lake. The gig was up rather quickly, and the elk trotted further to the middle of the basin. There seemed to be plenty (hundreds) of cows and calves in the lake, but not many bulls this evening. Next time I will try walking behind the Montana elk decoy to see if that eases the bulls' fears.

Ed720ElkMormonL_028.jpg

So, we walked back towards the vehicle, stopping to photograph the flowers and a vibrant rainbow over the carpet of gold.

Ed720FlowerYellowMormonMah.jpg

Ed720RainbowMormonMahshall.jpg

Lastly, we stopped as Marshall Lake for the sunset, as the cloud structure looked very promising. Not much water is left in the lake, with only a few inches over the mud flats.

Ed720MarshallSunsetBlend.jpg

Ed720CloudMormonMahshallL_.jpg

Ed720Marshall-SunsetBlend.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Doug

Awesome pics! What camera setup are you using?

Thanks. These were taken with a combination of Nikon gear. D90, 16-35mm f/4, 70-300 f/4.5, 300mm f/4, 1.4tc, tripod.

as usual, awesome pics.

I was expecting a picture of a Rainbow TROUT!!! Ha Ha.

Great job Doug. Wish we had your weather right now. :)

TJ

Amazing pics as always, Doug! The yellow flowers remind me of last September's archery hunt, not too far from there...... ;) Good show, friend!

S.

:)

Chris- it's been a "few" years since Mormon Lake had fish (and sometimes water), but thinking they were mostly pike. Sorry to mislead you ;)

Larry- yes, we have high pollen warnings up here. Maybe why one common yellow flower is called "sneeze weed". The sunflowers are just starting to bloom.

Stan- Lake Mary is rimmed in yellow. Suspect most of the parks will be yellow rather soon.

Thanks for looking.

Beautiful Doug! Was struck by the amazing yellow carpet on the way out to Mormon Lake this last weekend, love how you captured it!

This past week I hiked up Humphrey's Peak and have to say snowbowl road was absolutely covered in greenery. The meadow on the first leg of the hunt contained a lot of different colored wildflowers, I'll have to post a pic or two. However, My only camera on me was a pocket sony, I kinda wish I'd brought my Olympus DSLR along with me.

Great photos Doug!

How much post photo editing do those last few photos take? Or, is that all done with set up of the camera? I'm still learning shutter speed and ISO.