Sign in to follow this  
srfrost45

New to hunting. Any tips?

SR- the deer are small. hard to see, hard to hit. also their habitat and behavior usually force fairly long shots; be familiar with what you and your rifle are capapble of. also most wt units are very rugged. being in good shape helps. i use my 10X42's more than my 15X56's; most wt hunters it is the other way around. if you get any of those books they will say optics, optics, optics.

Hmmm...another 36B candidate:)

Here it is:

-In my opinion, it is one of the most beautiful and peaceful units to hunt in.

-This said, ALWAYS carry a side weapon as there might be characters particular to 36B who would like to spoil the peace.

-Start getting in shape; unit 36B is rough and better hunting is in the canyons.

-Come mid September start scouting. Come into the unit from different parts; west through Ruby Rd. off 19., or go east from Arivaca, travel west through Peck Canyon etc..etc..You'll need a 4x4 for better canyons.

-I see you're in Chandler; you can take a day trip for scouting or stay overnight, especially during the cool evenings of October, before the hunt.

-I, by choice, hunt in 36B and I have the same hunt as yours; thus you may hook up with both for scouting and camping during the hunt.

Best of luck,

AHB

This will be my first attempt at Coues. I plan on using a 300 Weatherby Mag with a 4.5x16x44. I love to glass and am looking at getting a set of 10x42 binos.

300 wby is excellent choice for rifle , thats what I used to take my 1st coues . I've since switched to 7 mag for coues but I still like my 300 wby . If I was gonna buy a new pair of binoculors it would be 15x vipers . I know there is better glass but not sure there is better for the dollars . Good luck and have fun .

My favorite thing I learned on this forum is " if your not questioning your sanity , your not huntin hard enough "

thank you shortpants , helps me keep on keepin on .

The best tip I could give you to see more deer, that is based on my own personal expierence, is to buy or even rent a pair of the best 15x binoculars you can afford and put them on a sturdy tripod and pan head, and learn how to use them with as much patience as you can possibly muster up as previously said. This alone will help you more that just about anything I can think of to find deer. I thought that there wasn't much of a difference between 10's and 15's until I was side by side next to a good buddy of mine out in the field. He had the 15x SLC Swarovskis on a good tripod and pan head and I had a brand new pair of 10x SLC Swarovskis on the same brand of tripod and pan head. I was absolutely BLOWN AWAY at the number of animals he was seeing with the 15's that I couldn't even tell if they were animals or rocks with the 10's. If I were to loose my 15's today I'd have to get the money one way or another to buy a another pair of 15's before the next time I was going to hunt coues. They make that much of a difference to me. Some might argue that they can see what ever I can with their 10's but I'm here to tell you that I'd bet my entire savings that I would see more deer with my 15's than anyone using any pair of 10's.

Good luck with your hunt!