Sign in to follow this  
crazy cooz

300 ultra vs 257 weatherby

if the buck was hit good, it died, and probly quite fast. if it got away, i kinda think it wasn't hit real good. don't put a lot of emphasis on "knockdown". it's just numbers on paper. if it got away with a .257 it probly woulda got away with a .300 too. hafta hit em in a killin' place. different bullets of equal weight and velocity have the same amount of "knockdown". but a solid is gonna have a lot different affect than a hollowpoint. a soft point spitzer isn't going to react the same way as a solid copper bullet. and if you gutshoot something, it doesn't really matter what you use. it's gonna run away. look for accuracy and use a good bullet. any rifle is better than a bow and arrow, and they have zero "knockdown". but a buncha animals end up in the freezer every year to guys that know how to hunt with one. accuracy and good bullets. and a lotta practice. whole lotta practice. and sharpen up on your woodsman skills, alla that hunter kinda stuff. Lark.

Why not a 300 WBY?

My Vanguard shoots sub moa with both 168 and 210 Bergers. I had the factory install a brake(accu-brake)for $160.

When you hit something with a berger it goes down and stays down. My setup has a recoil like a .243 and about the same ballistics as the Ultra. I buy new loaded Weatherby rounds at Sportsmans WH for $33 and reload after once shot so cost isn't really bad at all.

I love the .257 weatherby! I have watched many many coues deer and mule deer get shot with this caliber and it is lethal. Most of the shots were 300-600 yards. I don't like recoil and muzzle breaks. The recoil on the .257 is relatively mild. Both of the .257s I have shoot well with factory ammo. I don't think you can go wrong with the .257 weatherby if you are looking for a deer rifle that shoots flat & hits hard with mild recoil. Most of the bucks killed on the Extreme Coues video were shot with the .257 weatherby. Good luck!

Darr

I have a 257 weatherby and just got a custom built 300 weatherby, love em both, My 257 has killed 3 whitetail, the closest at 400 yards, 2 were one shot kills 400, 477 and one was a 2 shot kill because I choked on my first shot and hit low in the shoulder, I was not happy with the ballistic tips(blew into pieces) and switched to the accu bond and love it. I bought the 300 because I wanted a bullet less affected by wind drift on long shots, the 257 is my goto rifle though, love it and always will, no recoil, flat and fast!! ag