Sign in to follow this  
crazy cooz

300 ultra vs 257 weatherby

im debaiting between buying a 300 ultra or a weatherby 257. The ballistics seem better on the 257 but i am wondering about energy at long distances. Any help would be great

im debaiting between buying a 300 ultra or a weatherby 257. The ballistics seem better on the 257 but i am wondering about energy at long distances. Any help would be great

what are you going to be using it on ? The 300RUM is a better choice if you are shooting elk. I have both my 257 is my favorit for everthing except bear and elk then the 300RUM comes in to play .

The 257 could be flatter shooting, depending on what bullets you shoot. It all depends on how far and how you will be shooting. If you are going to be <500yds at deer sized game or smaller, with a duplex reticle and no turret adjustments, the 257 could be the better choice. If you are going to be shooting it more than 500, the RUM would be much better. They are both very capable calibers, the 257 will recoil a lot less.

Seems like an odd comparison at opposite ends of the specturm??? But since you asked...

The .257 is a light weight fast bullet with the very best Ballistic Coeficent of about .500 and a pretty mild recoil. On the other hand the 300 RUM is twice the bullet weight launched at speeds over 3,000 FPS with the best BC's being as high as .680 and a pretty stout recoil.

I guess it all comes down to what you want to do with the rifle? Shoot up to deer size critters out to 500 or 600 yards with the .257 or shoot Elk size animals out to 1000 yards and beyond with the .300 RUM?

The BC is without a doubt much better with the 300 RUM. I'm not sure about the ballistics from 0-500 yards but I'm sure the ballistics on the .300 are much better than the .257 from 500-1000 yards. Not to mention more energy delivered to the target at all ranges. However it all comes at a price... more recoil, more powder, and more money.

I still think it's a real wierd compairson... It's like asking which is better a Corvette or a Peterbilt???

The 257 Roy is unbeat at haulin' tail, and if I had to choose between the two, it'd be the Roy.

Muzzle velocity, however, is rather fleeting, and BC is forever.

Anything .308 ain't the greatest for BC, and the Ultra case delivers recoil HARD and FAST. I'd go .338 in a heavy braked outfit if I ran an ultra capacity case, and it would say "338 Lapua" on the tube.

The .264 and .284 diameters soundly take the lead in the high BC combined with low recoil field... a 140 grain pill with a BC over .600 is hard to beat.

Seems like an odd comparison at opposite ends of the specturm??? But since you asked...

The .257 is a light weight fast bullet with the very best Ballistic Coeficent of about .500 and a pretty mild recoil. On the other hand the 300 RUM is twice the bullet weight launched at speeds over 3,000 FPS with the best BC's being as high as .680 and a pretty stout recoil.

I guess it all comes down to what you want to do with the rifle? Shoot up to deer size critters out to 500 or 600 yards with the .257 or shoot Elk size animals out to 1000 yards and beyond with the .300 RUM?

The BC is without a doubt much better with the 300 RUM. I'm not sure about the ballistics from 0-500 yards but I'm sure the ballistics on the .300 are much better than the .257 from 500-1000 yards. Not to mention more energy delivered to the target at all ranges. However it all comes at a price... more recoil, more powder, and more money.

I still think it's a real wierd compairson... It's like asking which is better a Corvette or a Peterbilt???

I agree with TAM. If you had asked .300 RUM vs .300 WBY or 7MM Mag, something like that it would be more along the expected.

.300 RUM is a hard hitting, hard kicking, wind-bucking, powder burning round. Some are very accurate, but others are very picky when it comes to matching the gun to all aspects of the cartridge. .257 Wby is a sweet, fast, light and accurate but more prone to wind drift and far less downrange energy.

If I were going to compare those two I'd say a different analogy would be, "Should I buy a Dodge Mega Cab Diesel, or a Toyota Tacoma?"? Both are very good - depending on what you need. There are things the Tacoma won't do, but there are things the Dodge is way overkill for.

Honestly, if a buddy of mine came up to me and said, which of these two should I choose, I'd say neither. Go with a .270 WSM, maybe 7MM mag or 7MM-08. You want speed, flatter trajectory, I'm guessing a case smaller than a gunpowder filled hotdog, maybe something you can shoot more than 4 times in a day without visiting your dentist to have your crowns all replaced...There are lots of good bullets out there right "in the middle" that do almost everything very well.

But, if I *had* to choose between the two you asked about, it would be the .257 Wby. because I'd rather see you shoot a gun you can learn to shoot accurately without developing a flinch. An accurate shot from that gun can take down any big game you're likely to hunt (as others have pointed out, this was Roy Weatherby's favorite round - even for some tough African game).

I have nothing against the big mags, but I will say, not just everyone can go out and make them shoot well. Many guys develop a flinch from the recoil, others are unwilling or unable to find a load that shoots well for them - lots of factors push experienced shooters away from the big 300 mags back to more mainstream loads that may not look as good on paper (ballistics charts) but do way better for them on other paper (a target at 300 - 500 yards).

Honestly, if a buddy of mine came up to me and said, which of these two should I choose, I'd say neither. Go with a .270 WSM, maybe 7MM mag or 7MM-08. You want speed, flatter trajectory, I'm guessing a case smaller than a gunpowder filled hotdog, maybe something you can shoot more than 4 times in a day without visiting your dentist to have your crowns all replaced...There are lots of good bullets out there right "in the middle" that do almost everything very well.

... 6.5x284

Buy both and you will have most situations covered. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

If you have to choose, you should take the weight of each into consideration. The 300RUM will be quite a bit heavier to pack around.

I have a .300 RUM and I love it. That said, I am looking at some of the 6.5's (.264) right now for a build to have a lighter rig for smaller game. The .300 is great for elk and other larger game at longer ranges. Even big mulies. I know some guy use it almost exclusively, even for Coues. But I've come to the conclusion, with some thought on it, that there is no reason for a sledge hammer when a finish hammer will do the trick. The sledge comes out when it's needed.

... 6.5x284

Or 260, or 6.5 Creed, or 264 Win Mag, or 7-08, 280, etc... the list goes on and on.

A 140 AMAX from a 260 will flatten Coues further than most will ever reliably be able to hit them.

I shoot a weatherby .257- 1 of the post say that a 300 is more expensive to shoot. Have no reason to price 300 ammo, but i would bet Weatherby can hang with, most likely trump it. Im over 1k deep in reloading supplies tryn to get away from that pricey Weatherby ammo. YES, i showed them. lol!

I shoot a weatherby .257- 1 of the post say that a 300 is more expensive to shoot. Have no reason to price 300 ammo, but i would bet Weatherby can hang with, most likely trump it. Im over 1k deep in reloading supplies tryn to get away from that pricey Weatherby ammo. YES, i showed them. lol!

That was me... you're right Weatherby brass ain't cheap! I own both a .300 RUM and a .270 WBY and know what you're saying but at roughly 2x the volume of powder and bullet weight you are going to pay more for the powder and lead with a .300 RUM. Probably costs more to get started with a WBY but I think down the road it will cost more to put fuel in the tank of the big .300 RUM case. JMO :)

just get a .270 and forget all that other stuff. if it was me and i had to have one or the other, i'd get the .300 ultra. only one i have much experience with is very accurate, not much recoil due to a good brake and is fun to shoot. and it will knock the h e l l out of whatever you hit with it at incredible ranges. a .25 cal just ain't got the bc for consistent long range shots. smokin' round, but to me it's just way too much powder for a really small bullet. but i never met a gun i didn't like. and don't say nothin' about a 7mm/08. they ain't a gun. Lark.

I would say get a regular 300 win mag or a 257 wby. I have both and will typically shoot my 300 over my 257 for a few reasons. The 300 has less wind drift, hits really hard out very far, and with the muzzlebreak it hardly kicks at all (though it is loud). This is kind of a hard question because they are on opposite sides of the spectrum. If there were 2 calibers to own both of I think these 2 would be them. Maybe look at 270 wby mag, best of both worlds and is next on my list to buy as well.

Thanks for the help . Im going with both. My friend hit a coues last year at 492 yards with a 257 and i watched the whole thing threw my 15's on a tripod and looked like a solid hit and all we did was follow a slight blood trail then it petered out. the buck folded when hit but was on a ridge and couldnt see the deer once hit. Thats why the wide spectrum. wondering about energy when reaching out with a 257. the bullet that was used was a ballistic tip nosler 115 grain.