Sign in to follow this  
dead nutz

308 loads

looking for good prooven load for 308 shooting a remington 700 vtr. currently loading rl 15 43.1 grains on barnes tsx match grade 168 shoots good but I am sending in my scope for hunting turrets for my december 36 c coues hunt and would like to try a few loads before sending it in. looking to max out at 450 yards worst case. any suggestions would be appreciated

If you are already running RL15 (a great choice) you could try 42.0 to 45.0 under the 178 AMAX. Start with 42 and work up slowly. Dont jump right to 45. Also you might try the 168 AMAX with similar charges (42-46). CCI BR2 or Federal 210 Gold Medal Match primers work great. RL15 and the 168, 178 is a scary accurate combo for a decent shooting 308.

Hope that helps.

Let us know how it works out.

hornady 168-a-max,43grs rl-15,lapua brasswith cci br-2 primers (I still cannot locate any federal match grade primers).This is the load I shoot in my little sweetheart 308 . I will be shooting the 178 amax really soon.If you would like to see more loads go to the website 24 hour campfire.com log in then go to reloadingand click that then go to 308 loads they have 28 pages of different loads . good luck on the hunt . Mark

I also am shooting .308 Remington VTR. The recipe I've found most accurate is 168 A-Max, Nosler Brass sized at 2.10, CCI BR2 primer, Varget 43.5gr, seated at 2.840 (which is just a tad smaller than mag well so I can still use it). Shoots great for me. 1/2 to 3/4 MOA out to 600 yrds. Haven't shot much past that distance yet. I initially tried Nosler 165 Accubonds with no success, couldn't find a good grouping load, my rifle didn't like them at all, YMMV.