Sign in to follow this  
TREESTANDMAN

Coues meat or Mule deer meat?

I notice that coues whitetail meat is not nearly as gamey as the mule deer I have taken. Has anyone else noticed a difference in the meat?

I don't really know because I'm still trying to bag my first Coues. But I've always heard the oppisite. I've heard that coues or any whitetail for that matter isn't as good as mulies. I've ate quite a few mulies and all have been great. I've bagged a couple of Eastern whitetails and found them to be just as good as mulies but no better. I think all deer are good, it's just a matter of if the deer was taken care of, not wounded, and not shot when he was rutting himself to death.

Travis

Guest Ernesto C

To me both meats are excellent,they do taste differente but is really hard to notice sometimes. I give some mule deer meat one time to a friend of mine who is a excellent cook and then I give some meat to my mother from the same deer and they both cook the same thing,deer stew. My mothers stew taste a lot better than the one my friend cook;the difference was in the marinating because my friend stew had a gamey taste and the one my mother cook,no gamey taste and it was excellent,you will ask for another bowl.

But yes TREESTANDMAN I believe coues meat is less gamey than mule deer but to my is the cook or the chef that one that can make the gamey taste go away;sometimes when I invite friends to eat coues or muley meats they can't believe they are eating deer meat. "it taste like regular meat" they said and they always ask for a second round.

Thanks and God bless you all. Ernesto C.

P.S. I still looking or trying to taste the "wild taste or gamey taste" on javelina and believe me I have try several of them and cook them different ways but with no succes on finding the gamey taste. I think that people that say that deer,javelina,elk etc.etc. taste "wild or gamey" they are bad hunters or in another words they are vegetarians :o

Guest Guest_Treestandman

Javelina is by far my preffered game animal and has no gamey taste. It has puzzled me why everyone has dogged javelina.

I agree, Javelina is one of my favorites as well. Although I would have to say Javelina can sometimes have a gamie flavor if it's an old boar. But it is still very edible if you make sausage out of it. But my favorite is pork chops from a young pig! They melt in your mouth. God Bless and Happy New Year!

Travis

It is all in preperation, at home and in the field, even before the first shot is fired. From start to finish you must start prepairing the meat.

Shot placement: hit it good so you dont chase a wounded animal around. When wounded and they run, it makes the blood pump harder into the muscles, which is thing similar to what happens when you bruise. Also if you gut shoot an animal, guess what the meat might taste like.

Field dressing: get those guts out fast! as soon as the deers heart stops beating, its cooling system stops. I shot a deer in dec of 98 and I had a thermometer with me, I set it inside the stomach area then started gutting, in 10 minutes it was at 115 degrees F. Then as soon as it was field dressed it started dropping temp. At this time that I shot it, it was only 40 degrees out. Also try not to let any urine hit any meat, this whangy flavor wont cook out of the meat (experience speaking here).

Hide: Skin your deer as soon as you can. My family always skins our animals the same day we get them. The longer you leave the hide on the more chance there is for hair to get on meat.

Processing meat: If you dont have access to a meat storage locker, get that meat cut up and in the freezer. Some people like to hang their animals a few days to tenderize it, Thats fine, but I dont do it.

Thawing meat: Heres the main reason for gamy taste. DONT USE MICROWAVE!!!! Get a large salad bowl and fill it with salt water. It thaws meat well and will draw some of the blood out of the meat. I do this 3 times for 20 minutes each time with ALL of my red meat. It also helps tenderize it. A nice thing about salt is that after you cook youre meat, you dont taste it. Cooking meat this way people thought I was ordering expensive beef steaks, when all it was, was elk or deer!

There are a few flavors that I cant remove from meat, 3 mentioned earlier. The main game taste I have noticed is juniper, mostly in mulies, I cant remove. I had one deer from unit 28 that ate a bunch of juniper berries, and you could taste it! That whole deer turned into green chile meat.

I know most of you here already know this. But I hope this helps someone. I love pretty much all wild meat and in my opinion from the first shot untill it hits the freezer is the most important time of meat preparation.

anyways Good luck every one.

GMM

I agree that Coues meat is less gamey than Muley meat. Personally I prefer Coues deer meat, but I enjoy most any game meat. Javelina is quite good. I made some javelina tenderloins that were to die from my pig last year. I marinated them in Lawry's Citrus Grill Marinade overnight. And then grilled them on the grill. It was soooooooooooo gooooooood!!!!! Of course with all game meat you have to be careful not to overcook it and it helps to marinate it with something that has some oil in it so it stays moist.

Amand

Coue's meat is my personal favorite wild game meat, it has consistently always been great, never had one that was'nt good, don't know if its because of how they were shot and/or how we take care of our game, but i'm sure it has something to do with it...really enjoy elk...had some great antelope as well..i'm sure its how you take care of the meat...BH

I have only had Coues Deer and Elk and think they are both very good. I believe it is how you take care of the meat from the time you get the animal down to the table.

I am suprised to hear so many people like Javelina. I have never tried it and have always given them to my old neighbor that used the meat to make Tamale's. I defiantly will be keeping the next Javelina i get and try it for myself. I have already received a call a few weeks ago from my old neigbor reminding me that she wanted my Javelina if i got one, i guess that should have been a clue but have always heard that the meat wasn't very good.

Jason

I know that this started off as a conparison between Coues and Mulie meat but so much talk of Javalina has got my mouth watering. I will be headed out this afternoon and this weekend to try and fill my archery tag.

I have a way or process to field dress a Javi that leaves the meat great tasting and ready to cook any way you want. I posted my "method" and Javalinahunter.com forum under "field cleaning tips" or e-mail me and I would be happy to share it with you.

:ph34r:

sorry, javelinahunter.com not javAlinahunter.com

:ph34r: