Sign in to follow this  
youngbuck

AR500 steel

Does anybody know where I might find some ar500 steel, preferably scrab hunks, somewhere in the Phoenix area? If i can find scrap I'll figure out a way to mount it. Ive seen the guys who sell AR500 targets online, but can only imagine how much shipping would be.

Does anybody know where I might find some ar500 steel, preferably scrab hunks, somewhere in the Phoenix area? If i can find scrap I'll figure out a way to mount it. Ive seen the guys who sell AR500 targets online, but can only imagine how much shipping would be.

I bought a 10" AR500 steel plate from a guy off ebay and shipping was pretty cheap. The post office has that deal where they will ship up to 70lbs for under $10. Not sure what's on ebay now but you may want to take a look?

Good luck,

Tim

A lot of the cutting egdes on hevey equipment. Even the used ones make gst targets. Stop in at empire southwest they normaly have a lot of scrap.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I talked to one of my customers at the hardware store today. He is from Temtco steel in AJ. He says they have patterns for silhouette targets and can cut just about anything I'd want in AR500.

AR500 is supposed to hold up as targets for big bullets. My plan is to have 300 grainers going around 2800fps at the muzzle. I don't want to haul around a hunk of 1/2 plate only to punch a bunch of holes in it.

it's harder but i don't think you'll see a lot of difference. a r plate just has some carbon in it. it works a little better in a wear application but where you're smackin' it with a big ol bullet i don't think you'll see a lot of difference. used to be that sihlouettes were balanced on wood and when you smacked em good they fell over. are they still that way? once at usery they had a ram out there at 200 and it was anchored solid. me and another guy blew the crap out of it. i was trying to write my intitials in it. the other guy shot a face in the head. i had my .300 and .270. i don't know what he had. but it had holes all over in it and some guy from the pistol range came over there raisin' all kindsa h e l l because he said we weren't supposed to be shooting it. it was for pistols. he was yellin' at the range masters mostly. i got to laughing so hard at him i couldn't hit nothin' after that. it had so many holes in it i bet is sounded like a piccolo when the wind blew. it was funny listening to that guy whine too. but try davis salvage. they are on washington west of the dog track a little ways. the salvage yard and big iron yard is on the north side of the road. the one on the south side is ornamental stuff. if you anchor steel down solid, even 1 inch, you can knock holes in it. if it can move when it's hit it will take it a lot better. Lark.

Lark, you don't know what you're talking about.

1/2" AR500 doesn't even have more than a grey mark with big 300/338s @ 100.

1/2" mild steel, can be shot clean through in short order, even with 140 Berger VLDs @ 650.

Mounting method is same/same, hung loose from a chain... I've had both so I know.

An AR500 target is a one time purchase unless someone steals it or you throw it away.

it's harder but i don't think you'll see a lot of difference. a r plate just has some carbon in it. it works a little better in a wear application but where you're smackin' it with a big ol bullet i don't think you'll see a lot of difference. used to be that sihlouettes were balanced on wood and when you smacked em good they fell over. are they still that way? once at usery they had a ram out there at 200 and it was anchored solid. me and another guy blew the crap out of it. i was trying to write my intitials in it. the other guy shot a face in the head. i had my .300 and .270. i don't know what he had. but it had holes all over in it and some guy from the pistol range came over there raisin' all kindsa h e l l because he said we weren't supposed to be shooting it. it was for pistols. he was yellin' at the range masters mostly. i got to laughing so hard at him i couldn't hit nothin' after that. it had so many holes in it i bet is sounded like a piccolo when the wind blew. it was funny listening to that guy whine too. but try davis salvage. they are on washington west of the dog track a little ways. the salvage yard and big iron yard is on the north side of the road. the one on the south side is ornamental stuff. if you anchor steel down solid, even 1 inch, you can knock holes in it. if it can move when it's hit it will take it a lot better. Lark.

Thanks for the laugh and the salvage yard info Lark. I remember the old silouttes at Usery. I haven't seen em in a few years, but I've been boycotting Usery for atleast a year now. I was planning on hanging the target, I could hear it better and prevent some damage. I figure I could see bullet marks better on a white steel target compared to .284-.338 holes in paper. Seems like guys just spray paint em over after shooting and you can see them clearly again. Its gonna be a pain to lug around and set up, but my target won't blow away. I also want something easy to see and easy for a spotter to see at some longer range stuff.

i don't know much about shooting steel but don't tell me i don't know what i'm talking about when it comes to iron. i've used more of it in one hour than you will in a lifetime. AR plate is nothing more than steel that has had carbon added to it. anywhere from 2 to maybe 10%. you can cut it with a torch, weld it with mild steel rod. it's kinda hard to drill a hole in. and i've seen it torn to pieces in any manner you can think off, just like mile steel. it's made to use in abrasive areas. mildlly abrasive at that. it goes away real fast where there is high abrasion. mild steel is just iron with a very small amount of carbon. that's why you can't temper it. i've used thousands of tons of any kinda steel you can think of. train loads. i never said it wasn't any better. i questioned whether he needed it. seeing if maybe i could save him a little money. youngbuck, have fun with whatever you decide on. the only sihlouttes i ever shot were 1/2" mild steel plates that had a sharp edge on the bottom and they were balanced in a matching groove in wooden blocks. when you hit them, they fell over and it didn't knock a hole in them. put a dent in em, but no hole. this is sort of what i assumed you were doing. that's why i asked how it was secured. Lark.

LOLOLOL

Lark, you don't know what you're talking about.

1/2" AR500 doesn't even have more than a grey mark with big 300/338s @ 100.

1/2" mild steel, can be shot clean through in short order, even with 140 Berger VLDs @ 650.

Mounting method is same/same, hung loose from a chain... I've had both so I know.

An AR500 target is a one time purchase unless someone steals it or you throw it away.

AR plate is nothing more than steel that has had carbon added to it.

Actually, you still don't know what you're talking about.

STEEL is IRON that has had CARBON added to it. Roughly between 0.5-2.0%... and that's what makes it steel instead of iron. AR500 is a through hardened wear & abrasion resistant steel plate used for SEVERE IMPACT and abrasion. SEVERE IMPACT in this case being projectiles composed of lead and/or copper alloys launched at muzzle velocities of 2600 fps or more. NO EFFECT ON THE TARGET.

Go take a class on materials science engineering, pass it with better than an F, then we can talk.

AR500 is the friggin bo-diddly bomb for rifle targets, almost like it was made for it... You should try shootin' some... knowin' is easy. Guessin is for fools. Plasma works for holes in AR500 much better than any bit...

BTW, trainloads of iron is surely friggin a lot. And to use more in an hour than I'll use in a lifetime is likely true... iron is for woodstoves and engine blocks.

So just curious, what's the average copper content and tensile strength of reinforcing steel used for reinforcing concrete structures? Can you weld it? What would be the effect of torch cutting or welding on the hardness and tensile strength?

What's the average chromium content of D2 steel? How do you harden it? Is it stainless? Will it rust? What is it good for, other than casual conversation around the campfire? What is the optimum hardness for your chosen application?

wickepedia is a wonderfull thing ain't it. i've done this stuff for 40 years. i ain't impressed. Lark.

So is a college education in materials science... I ain't guessin.

Shootin mild steel and AR500 plates regularly from 100-750 yards to compare the vastly different performance as high powered rifle targets ain't a bad place to expand your knowledge base either. Beats the heck outta guessin for sure. ;)

I work with guys all the time that have been doing things for 40 years. Problem is, they never got much better, and don't pay much attention or want to learn much of anything new. They know it all already. So they've actually got 1 year of experience 40 times. Doesn't impress me much either.

BTDT.

Youngbuck -

AR500 is available from any steel supplier, but you may have to order a full sheet. Gets kinda cost prohibitive. Lookup the guy over on the classifieds on 24hourcampfire. He'll ship you up to 70lbs in a fixed rate box. $25-30 for one plate shipped ain't a bad deal... you'll spend more than that in gas looking for a scrap hunk. And he's already put the holes in 'em. AR500 has a better ring to it when you nail it too, so you can easily hear your hits from 750.