Sign in to follow this  
deserthntr

GMX by hornady

was wondering how many of you have shot the GMX bullet, and how you like it? i was looking at the 90gr for my 257 roberts, looks like it will be a sweet bullet. i love the barnes ttsx cause they shoot holes upon holes for me, and i know if it aint broke dont fix it, but thought i might give them a try, unless these bullets just kinda explode once they enter the animal, instead of keeping their weight retention

I havent used the gmx but really like the superformance ammo , dont think you will have trouble with them blowing up as they are designed to be confrolled expansion solid bullets.

I'm kinda a Hornady fan, but to be honest Barnes kinda perfected the all copper thing. If Barnes shoots hole over hole, then there's not really any reason to change. That's my opinion.

one has to consider the fps at impact with the GMX's. even in the ad the expansion at any thing less than 2500fps looks poor. 3400fps is great but the calibers with impact velocities like that at 200yards plus are few and far between.

:ph34r:

I fthe TTSX shoot, dont switch. Theres no need. I managed to keep 3 TTSX in animals last year and each one is as perfect as the pictures look.

I have never shot anything with a Barnes bullet but as a family we have taken a number of Coues bucks with Hornady SST's, standard BTSP interlocks and Nosler Ballistic tips. Suzy shoots the 115 grain NBT out of her 257 Roberts and the terminal performance has been outstanding. The bullets that I have recovered mushroomed perfectly. I have witnessed the impact on 3 big bucks from 125 yards to almost 400 and they appear to swell up like a 50 gallon drum when the bullet hits. We also shoot the 117 grain SST's and the 100 grain BTSP from Hornady. The POI is insignificant enough that I don't even change the scope settings. In my 7 mag and my daughter's 7mm-08 we shoot 139 grain SST's. My son shot a bunch of deer with the 129 grain BTSP out of his 6.5 with good results.

Were talking about 130 pound deer with the guts in them. Any 100 grain core lokt, interlokt, power point, etc. bullet in the front third of the body is going to wreak extreme havoc and that deer is not going to care if that bullet cost a dollar apiece, or was 5 for a dollar. He's going to be in the dirt.

i think im just gunna stick with the barnes. went shooting yesterday and was hitting everything, milk jugs at 4-500 yds, and rabbits around 100, couldnt miss it seemed ha.

Those TTSX do have a internal heat sinker. Somehow, one big (105" type buck) managed to escale my 257 wby last season.... TWICE! Once by Girlygirlhunter and once by me (at 700 yards, thought he was dead the way he reacted).

The video of the buck I shot was posted here and he dropped so fast he would have given himself whiplash had he been alive. That is the same exact reaction from all but 3 of my animals in Africa from the TTSX. They are scary accurate and hit like a ton of bricks. A wonderful bullet!