draggingnuts

Tree stand hunting

I have posted this digram before... however I too am improving my thought process with each year so I have added a bit of important info...

The "Blue Dot" is still IMO a perfect kill espcially if the animal is quarted away slighly. Lending a quick kill to anything in the larger black oval.

The "Yellow Dot" is also a very fast kill when shooting down on a broad side to slight quatered too shot. Your shot has a lot of kill zone (yellow oval) here from an elevated possition... but aim low!

The Pink Line is important because we all need to realize that the leg bone does NOT extend straight up from the visible leg and the odds of hitting it if you are patient in your shot are very slim. Especially when you consider that bone will be nearly horizontal to the ground before the arrow arrives, as most deer do drop forward at the shot.

Further more, don't even consider that you might miss low... that NEVER happens... My cousin shot completely under her first deer and she center punched his heart... I have the video to prove it. An alert coues will drop 4-6 inches in an arrow's flight time. Try to avoid shooting at an allert buck if you can... but I know that is a tough thing with coues.

I personally prefir a buck to be at a slow walk when I shoot because they never drop if they are in motion... however this is at 20 yds and in, ONLY... and I do put a lot of preparation into making this shot and DO NOT recomend it unless you have shot Thousands of arrows from a bow and have 110% confidence in your ability to put an arrow exactly where you want it at 20 yds..."On a Dime"... is how prepared you have go to be on a moving shot IMO.

I'm not sure if this makes sense but it is never the same... many mico adjustments must be made if you want to be a success vs. a statistic...

post-996-0-41822500-1309271322_thumb.jpg

Awesome advice here. One thing I would add after many years of shooting eastern whitetails from trees is to practice from a stand. Don't know how high you were but you always need to remember the whole bend at the waist thing; drop your bow arm and a chip shot gets tougher in a hurry.

• Like 1