draggingnuts

Tree stand hunting

Ok this might be a dumb question but I need help. I have never killed a deer from a tree stand and last year I shot at one but he was standing with his front foot forward eating. He was broad side so I took a shot. The arrow hit good but only went in a couple inches. So I think I hit him in his leg bone. He survived and is still coming into my stand. So here is my question... Do you need to aim farther back then normal when shooting from a stand? I realy want to get him this year. Does the shot placement change when they are quartering away compared to quartering tward me and what about a broad side shot? Any sugestions would be greatly appriciated!!!

Draw yourself a diagram of a deer, broadside and head on, and draw where the lungs and heart are going to be, bottom half of the chest, centered behind the shoulder. Start drawing arrow paths through where you would hit the most lung. Change your elevation angle, the orientation if your deer, etc., and you'll begin to notice all your lines going through one spot in the chest cavity, generally near the heart.

I personally won't take shots with the deer quartered towards me at all. That's just me... if he's quartered away, one good rule of thumb is to shoot at the opposite shoulder. You'll get him down!

It was probably just bad odds that your arrow stuck in the bone. But, then again, hunting is about odds, and doing everything you can to improve them! Good luck on him, and make sure you write up the story for the Buck Contest when you do get him!

I have only shot 1 deer out of a tree stand so I don't have alot of experience out of stands. I hit him high behind the shoulder and thought it was a bad shot but with the angle it exited real low on the opposite side turning out to be a good shot with the deer running about 80 yrds before collapsing.

Low and forward... Period. If you hit too low... you missed clean... and remember that leg bone does not continue straight up. ;)

Lots of great advice here. You might try shooting a 3D deer target from an elevated position - if you have a tree in your yard, use that, if not, get on your roof then look at the hits and where the arrow is going to pass. Real deer are not as dense as a 3D target, so the penetration will only give you a reference as to where the arrow will go once it hits. The closer the deer is to you on a treestand shot, the higher you want to aim. The more it is quartering away, the more back you want to hit. Generally, you want to aim for the opposite side (think of aiming for the back-side elbow) when sharp angles are in play.

I totally agree with AntlerObession about quartering toward you shots. Those are some of the toughest ones to make in my opinion. A deer's anatomy is designed to be able to deflect things coming at their chest, head-on. There's a lot of bone and muscle up front on a deer. Look for the broadside or quartering away shots. This can be tough if you're sitting a treestand and a deer comes in walking toward you. Try to be patient and avoid the frontal shots. For one, the deer is already facing you and will probably pick up the movement of you drawing. Secondly, if you draw on him coming in, you are trying to hit a very small spot. Be patient, if you can, for the deer to come in get relaxed and offer you a broadside or, even better, quartering away shot.

Geno nailed it! :) always aim low at the arm pit.

Low and forward... Period. If you hit too low... you missed clean... and remember that leg bone does not continue straight up. ;)

This is a very hard shot because his leg is sooo far back and slightly quatering to you... I have highlighted the bottom and top of the buck in red, but the blue line is likly how far his body will drop before the arrow gets there... maybe more...I would shoot this deer through the front shoulder and would like not hit the bone where I placed the yellow dot. However, waiting for him to present the perfect broadside or quartering away shot would be best. I would only take this shot if I had been shooting a bunch in the few days prior to this opportunity and had 110% confidence in where my arrow was going. In that possition the buck can change your PIO by 6"-10" depending on how far he is and how poised to blow he is... There is sooooooooo much to the exicution of a shot on a coues... I could write a book, or give severa hour seminars... these deer are soo fast!

post-996-0-86472200-1308435285_thumb.jpg

I bet I hit somewhere close to that yellow dot. I think I was so focused on getting this buck and not spooking him(cause the other deer that came in were very jumpy) that I didnt notice how far back the leg was. Man I wish I could do it over again!!!!

I bet I hit somewhere close to that yellow dot. I think I was so focused on getting this buck and not spooking him(cause the other deer that came in were very jumpy) that I didnt notice how far back the leg was. Man I wish I could do it over again!!!!

If you hit anywhere near or above the center of the torso you will lose them almost every time... and if you hit the yellow dot... well that deer would have gone less than 100 yds.

I had a hunter last year who Swore he shot the buck quartering away at 16 yds and stuck the arrow in the off shoulder, because he saw fletchings sticking out as the buck ran off... I said, "Dead deer lets give him an hour or so, just in case"... We recovered the deer 200 yds away... and recoverd the broad head in the rear leg... the entrance whole was 6+ inches forward of where he thought as well. The buck turned nearly 90* toward him in the time it took his arrow to fly less than 16 yds... so where you think you hit and where you do is often not the same thing. That is why we wait so long and we often try to video our beginer hunters so that we can freeze frame the PIO on the playback to see how much longer we should wait...things happen out there WAY faster than our eyes can process them. ;) Aim LOW, aim Forward.... consider all degrees of angle before you squeeze that trigger... if you don't have time to do all that... might wait for another chance... as my buddy Jason says about archery coues hunting, "Don't make it happen, Let it happen."

Best of luck to you...