Pine Donkey

Unit 1 Fire?

I just heard there is a fire in the Big Lake area, anybody have any details?

It actually started in unit 27 in the bottom of Bear Wallow creek. It reached a hundred acres before dark.

With the 40 MPH winds the last weekend, I cannot fathom having a campfire. BUT, I just heard on the news that Coconino FS responded to 18 small wildfires and 12 abandoned campfires over the weekend. There is a couple hundred acre fire now near Sunset Crater, and yesterday we had a 10 acre fire just 2 miles directly downwind of Kachina Village in Pumphouse Wash.

Smoke from the "Wallow Fire" in the Bear Wallow Wilderness south of Hannigan Meadow reached Greer and Round Valley yesterday and is still thick around our cabin. I have no idea how many air miles it might be from here to the northern edge of the fire, but it must be at least 30-35 miles. Last I heard, about 1,500 acres had burned and the Reno Lookout south of Strayhorse had been evacuated.

Bill Quimby

I have spent a lot of time in there around Reno look out.That's where I spent the summers and learned how to hunt 20 years ago with my family. This year we talked about how dry it was and how it was tinder box, waiting for a spark. I hope it doesn't get too out of control. Here's a good on it. Looks like it is over 6.5k acres now. It was listed at 2700 or so earlier today I think. The page was updated a little over an hour ago.

http://inciweb.org/incident/2262/

there was a small fire smoldering they the fs was just monitoring back in the fall of 09 in the very same area.

Kinda odd that two young boys would take off for a day of fishing in Bear Wallow, since it's been closed to fishing for some time...

We still have more days of high winds forecast for this side of the White Mountains, and judging by the smoke we've had in Greer, Eagar and Springerville, it will be a while before this fire is contained. It's awful to think what might happen up here before our summer rains start in July.

Bill Quimby

We still have more days of high winds forecast for this side of the White Mountains, and judging by the smoke we've had in Greer, Eagar and Springerville, it will be a while before this fire is contained. It's awful to think what might happen up here before our summer rains start in July.Bill Quimby

Agreed. If they don't stop it's North bound run at the 25 road, Katie bar the door... 30 mph winds and 6% humidity ain't exactly ideal conditions to stop it anywhere.

Heading to my youngest son's baseball game this afternoon, I could see HUGE smoke plumes - like an inverted thunder head - this is in Lakeside. I assumed it was another Whiteriver fire. That thing has to be enormous. And with the winds we're seeing, I don't know how they can ever contain it until it runs out of fuel.

We still have more days of high winds forecast for this side of the White Mountains, and judging by the smoke we've had in Greer, Eagar and Springerville, it will be a while before this fire is contained. It's awful to think what might happen up here before our summer rains start in July.Bill Quimby

Agreed. If they don't stop it's North bound run at the 25 road, Katie bar the door... 30 mph winds and 6% humidity ain't exactly ideal conditions to stop it anywhere.

The map I saw this afternoon shows that the fire already crossed the 25 road. It also shows that it burned right past the Reno lookout tower.

Heading to my youngest son's baseball game this afternoon, I could see HUGE smoke plumes - like an inverted thunder head - this is in Lakeside. I assumed it was another Whiteriver fire. That thing has to be enormous. And with the winds we're seeing, I don't know how they can ever contain it until it runs out of fuel.

You could see the plume today from Safford looking Northeast.