longshooter

Best coues rifle ?

I've got a .243 loaded pretty hot with a 90gr ballistic tip. I also have a 300 weatheryby mag that shoots real accutate too. The 300 stayed in camp while the .243 went hunting. Why? The .243 is more fun to shoot.

Most people have WAY more rifle than they need. The difference between my 300 and .243 (as far as trajectory is concerned) is very little. With the ballisticplex in my burris it really doesn't matter how flat my gun shoots. I know where the bullet hits at each crosshair. As long as I know the distance(lieca rangefinder) and shoot a good shot the critter has little chance.

I really think that the bigger guns are a huge disadvantage when it comes to actually knocking the deer over. In TX I shot a .308 with 180 partitions and my wife shot the .243 with 90 gr ballistic tips. Every animal I shot with the .308 ran away. My wife shot 5 animals (these are couse sized critters too) and 4 droped in their tracks and one dropped in a few yards. All of the energy of the .243 went into the deer while most of the energy of the .308 went through the animal.

Just remember that there are a ton of animals killed with bows that have less that 60 pounds of KE. The bullets we are shooting have hundres of pound of KE if not thousands of pounds of KE.

In theory I really think the .257 weatherby would be the perfect round for deer sized animals. I don't own one and haven't shot one yet but I would really like to explore that cartridge.

Later,

recurveman