deserthntr

who does there own gunsmithing?

who on here has done there own bedding and free floating? was thinking of going off the best of the west videos and trying it myself, didnt know if anyone had any tips. and if i just mess the stock up just buy a mcmillan or H-S

I do all my own, and have done many for others over the years. Its not all that hard, you just need to be patient and work slow in the begining. There are lots of good pics out there that can help with the process. I have some pics of my jobs that may help you out. If you pm your email, I can send you some.

If you mean fiberglass bedding of the action and the chamber area of the barrel, and using a stockmaker's barrel rasp to open up the barrel channel, I've been doing it to all my rifles for at least 30 years. Haven't bought any rifles for at least ten years, so techniques may have been improved since then.

However, there was nothing difficult about it, except an action sometimes got stuck. I eventually found that using a hair dryer to warm the metal, or a freezer to chill it, would get 'glass to release. Later, when I started using Pam spray cooking oil as a release agent and sprayed every square inch of the action and barrel twice, that problem ended.

A tip you might not see in books and videos is to use children's modeling clay to keep the fiberglass out of areas where you don't want it.

As for opening up the barrel channel, work slowly and you should be OK. A barrel rasp removes a lot of wood quickly.

Bill Quimby

It's easily done and the pam cooking spray is essential. Another trick is adding a piece of scotch tape to the front of the recoil lug. It makes for a tight fit but not so tight that you can't get the action out. Scotch tape along the bottom of the barrel and using sand paper around the barrel works good for floating barrels as well.