catclaw

Sick of the Arrogance

ungulates all have 4 stomachs and barf up a cud and re-eat it. cows, the deer family, buffalos, goats, sheep, etc. i don't know about the african antelope. horses and pigs are not ungulates. Lark.

The term "ungulate" has nothing to do with the digestive system but merely indicates the presence of hooves. Thus all of the African antelope, pigs and horses are included. Perhaps you're thinking of the term "ruminant," which describes the critters with a 4-section tummy. All ungulates have hooves but all ungulates are not ruminants.

:huh: :huh:

TJ

You're funny TJ.....reminds you of Ag classes don't it???

ungulates all have 4 stomachs and barf up a cud and re-eat it. cows, the deer family, buffalos, goats, sheep, etc. i don't know about the african antelope. horses and pigs are not ungulates. Lark.

The term "ungulate" has nothing to do with the digestive system but merely indicates the presence of hooves. Thus all of the African antelope, pigs and horses are included. Perhaps you're thinking of the term "ruminant," which describes the critters with a 4-section tummy. All ungulates have hooves but all ungulates are not ruminants.

:huh: :huh:

TJ

You're funny TJ.....reminds you of Ag classes don't it???

See how much you can learn on CouesWhitetail.com! :)

HA! I simply love how you all have turned this thread into something much more productive and useful! I for one have learned a few things! I always wondered what a "ruminant" was! Thanks, JIM>

I pretty much just go hunting for myself, to better my skills, and learn what I can from the great outdoors. A trophy animal to me is how much effort and good times I had on the hunt. My 1st archery dink elk is by far my favorite trophy.

I do love watching, reading, and learning all I can from others, and any source of good information I gobble it up.

I take others' arrogance with a grain of salt, I don't let it bother me. It strikes me as Laughable at best.

But I do that with any type of misguided attitude and boastfulness.... I just smile at them and roll with it.

Life is much easier this way I have found. ;)

Sorry, TJ. Didn't mean to scramble your brains. :D

Tony.....the brain is already scrambled but I do manage to read between the lines and figure out bits and pieces. ;)

Amanda......I never ever thought I could get any smarter than I already is but cwt has elevated me higher than I ever thought possible. :D

Non-Typical Solutions.......Ag classes? :huh:

Just when I thought I had it all together B).

TJ

• Like 1

Man, I've been reading this thread since the beginning and could probably write several pages of a reply! I've got a ton of experience relating to most of the thoughts in this thread and some I agree whole heartedly with and others I don't.

I think I remember who Catclaw was referring to at the start of this thread, I think he had that bull in his avatar? I think it was a 400" class bull with extra kickers up top maybe? I remember hearing the story and being very impressed with that individual for taking such a huge bull on his own, but now hearing he covered up the fact he was guided only upsets me for ever being impressed.

I'm always way more impressed with a hunter who gives credit where credit is due, regardless if it's a guide, a friend, or even if it was pure luck! The hunter that is honest and humble is the one I respect and admire the most.

One thing I don't agree with is folks getting upset or being negative towards somebody else becuase they don't hunt the same way or don't share the same trophy standards! It's THEIR tag, who cares if they want to pass on a 360" bull, who cares if they shoot a spike, it's THEIR tag!

I'm happy to see folks pass big stuff and go home empty handed (only as long as it's not my client ;) ) because that's one more bull or buck left in the woods!

Also, who cares if there is a bunch of "lazy" hunters or guys that road hunt all day, that only means you'll have less folks hiking into your honey hole!! I wish there were more lazy road hunters!!!

I've got a good example for ya'll, Last year, Early rifle bull hunt in one of the best units. I had a client pass up a bull that no doubt was bigger than 390" and most likely was pushing the 400" mark and was a straight 6!!! Keep in mind this was the middle of the hunt, I had nothing bigger picked out, and it wasn't a special tag with unlimited time to hunt, he only had a couple days left! It was very hard for me to comprehend that we were passing this bull up! What you need to understand, and what made me feel better about it was that this hunter knew the risk he was taking. He knew that he would probably go home empty handed and he didn't care. In his mind, shooting that bull would only end his hunt and he then would have to go home!!! This particular hunter already had 2 380" class archery DIY bulls on his wall at home and he was bound and determined to hunt until the last minute of his hunt for a true 400" bull! His words, and they are still etched in my mind, were, "I'd rather hunt the whole hunt for a true 400" bull and go home empty handed than shoot a lesser bull halfway thru"! The thrill of passing up giant bulls, the excitement of having the tag in his pocket and not knowing what was around the next tree were all reasons for him not to kill that bull. He was there for the hunt and beleive it or not, there is a lot of folks out there that hire guides and share the same thoughts as this particular hunter....although i doubt they would've passed that bull! LOL!

And another thing is that guy didn't care one bit about what others think. It was his own personal goal to kill a bull scoring at least 400". His drive was fueled only by personal reasons, he never would've wrote a story or posted the pics, even if it was the world record, it was his goals only.

Granted, that is only 1 scenario and 1 hunter, but I gotta say, folks like that are more common then most tend to beleive! I don't know if maybe it's the class of clientele that I attract or what, but 97.5% of the clients I've guided in the last 10 years are folks that are respectful, honest and enjoy the hunt, not just the kill. Just because somebody hires a guide doesn't mean they don't have the skills to hunt on thier own and it doesn't mean they are only interested in making a name for themselves. Most clients I guide have actually killed more and bigger elk then myself! It is BS if a guy uses a guide but then covers up that fact later, I don't agree with that at all! But there is no reason to think less of a guy in general just because he used a guide. In those situations I give credit to the guide but also to the hunter for successfully doing his part as well. I do place more respect with those individuals that do it all on their own because I know what goes into it and how hard it can be, but some of those and even some of the guided ones were all luck! Just be honest about it and happy you killed your trophy.

Bottome line, to each his own, and it's all just apples and oranges in the end. Killing a bull with a guide is still a great accomplishment, killing one on your own is a better accomplishment. Being honest and humble about it will win you more respect. And most importantly, for me, "The trophy is in the eye of the tag holder". It's not our tag so who cares, only once it is our tag does our opinions of trophy class then become relevant! OK, i'm done for now. JIM>

Well put Jim don"t think it could have been said any better.

Hey Jim, what about that friend of yours that had the archery tag up there last year and ended up eating the tag because he was so picky? What an arrogant prick! Oh wait a minute, that was me! :lol: You all can think what you want but I hunt to impress no one but myself and my goal for every hunt is to hunt as hard as I can for what I feel would be a trophy on that particular hunt. It is the stories and memories made along the way that cherish the most. I've eatin several tags over the years but for the life of me can't remember a single unsuccessful hunt. This is my opinion on what hunting means to me. If this opinion makes me wrong then I don't want to be right. I hope that whatever hunting means to each of you, you always be true to that and don't worry what antbody else thinks. BE HONEST, BE ETHICAL, AND BE HUMBLE!

Those who normally complain about how tough and strong tasting a particular piece of meat is, not always, usually was caused during the skinning and cooling down proccess. Know before hand exactly what you are going to do with that downed animal and you will be treated to some darn good eating. :)

TJ

its not just about keeping knifes clean -- as much as 90% - your HANDS - even those plastic gloves - -- your handling the hide - the worst smelling /dirtiest/ smelliest item- then you handle pieces of meat when reaching in gutting or trimmin - your hands come in contact with everything your doing !

you grab a dirt/urined leg out of the way - then ya grab a hold a big deboned piece of meat - totally contaminating clean meat in the process -

with the newer methods of field care - most meat can be handled properly- ALWAYS get the hide off and out of the way before cutting and trimmin clean meat -

take time to clean your hands - if possible - a little water and a paper towel go a long way - before deboning

Simple - clean - is the way to good tasting meat !

Tony.....the brain is already scrambled but I do manage to read between the lines and figure out bits and pieces. ;)

Amanda......I never ever thought I could get any smarter than I already is but cwt has elevated me higher than I ever thought possible. :D

TJ

TJ is always learning new stuff. just a couple months ago he learned that narrow road + big mesquite tree = remodeled truck door. \"/

TJ

TJ is always learning new stuff. just a couple months ago he learned that narrow road + big mesquite tree = remodeled truck door. \"/

SunDevil.....yes, I'm still learning new stuff so let me share the proof that narrow road + big mesquite does = ouch! but it was worth the price of mentoring two beautiful women on their ham hunt. :D

post-1903-0-32407400-1302295721_thumb.jpg

TJ