Sign in to follow this  
ehunt

WTB Jeep Cherokee

Im looking for a mid 90's to 01 Jeep Cherokee. If anyone knows of one in good shape, or has any recommendations on them as far as better years and common problems to look out for i would really appreciate it! Thanks!

Im looking for a mid 90's to 01 Jeep Cherokee. If anyone knows of one in good shape, or has any recommendations on them as far as better years and common problems to look out for i would really appreciate it! Thanks!

o may know of one are you looking for just a stock one or one thats been worked on? i dont memeber wat he said he was selling it for but i can find out.

o may know of one are you looking for just a stock one or one thats been worked on? i dont memeber wat he said he was selling it for but i can find out.

I used to own a 1997 Jeep Cherokee and it was the best vehicles I've ever owned! I traded it in with 197,000 miles on it and it was still running strong. Even for being a bone stock 4.0 liter straight 6 it would pretty much take me anywhere off the beaten path that I wanted to go. I wish I had kept it and turned it into a hunting rig.

I now own a 1978 CJ5 and it will take me places that makes my butt pucker just thinking about it... I love Jeeps!!!

Good luck!

I will consider either it just depends on the price, although im not looking for a rock crawler. thanks

I used to own a 1997 Jeep Cherokee and it was the best vehicles I've ever owned! I traded it in with 197,000 miles on it and it was still running strong. Even for being a bone stock 4.0 liter straight 6 it would pretty much take me anywhere off the beaten path that I wanted to go. I wish I had kept it and turned it into a hunting rig.

I now own a 1978 CJ5 and it will take me places that makes my butt pucker just thinking about it... I love Jeeps!!!

Good luck!

Thanks TAM! Thats what im planning on doing is to make it a hunting rig..with a heater!!!

No experience with cherokees, but I had a '97 Grand Cherokee limited (all the bells and whistles) I bought it used with about 50K miles on it and sold it right at 100K miles.

I found the 5.2L V8 to be a good runner. No problems with it or the transmission during its stay in my possession. Mileage was fair. As I recall, it would usually give me just under 15 MPG. (I have a newer Tahoe with more enguine (5.7L) that gets 16-17 regularly.... Newer vehicle, most likely better technology...)

What I didn't care for was that it seemed that every time I turned around, I was relacing one of the "options" (moonroof controller, electric seat adjuster, A/C compressor crapped out on me, rear wiper motor, ABS control module, etc.) BTW that ABS part was quite pricey, not to mention the cost of having it installed. $1200 or so total.

If I were to do it over again, I'd opt for a something more like TAM's 6 cylinder cherokee with fewer options to have to worry about.

No experience with cherokees, but I had a '97 Grand Cherokee limited (all the bells and whistles) I bought it used with about 50K miles on it and sold it right at 100K miles.

I found the 5.2L V8 to be a good runner. No problems with it or the transmission during its stay in my possession. Mileage was fair. As I recall, it would usually give me just under 15 MPG. (I have a newer Tahoe with more enguine (5.7L) that gets 16-17 regularly.... Newer vehicle, most likely better technology...)

What I didn't care for was that it seemed that every time I turned around, I was relacing one of the "options" (moonroof controller, electric seat adjuster, A/C compressor crapped out on me, rear wiper motor, ABS control module, etc.) BTW that ABS part was quite pricey, not to mention the cost of having it installed. $1200 or so total.

If I were to do it over again, I'd opt for a something more like TAM's 6 cylinder cherokee with fewer options to have to worry about.

Thanks for the info! Im going for the cherokee with the straight 6.

I have a 1990, a 1992 and a 2000 jeep cherokee (the old style, not grand cherokees). One has over 300,000 miles on it, one is about to turn 200,000 and the third I think is approaching 200k. All of them have been worked very hard in the field for years and can take a serious beating. They take rough roads a lot better than a truck. All my truck owning friends can't believe how much faster you can ride comfortably in a jeep compared to a truck. Hope you find a perfect one for you.

I have a 1990, a 1992 and a 2000 jeep cherokee (the old style, not grand cherokees). One has over 300,000 miles on it, one is about to turn 200,000 and the third I think is approaching 200k. All of them have been worked very hard in the field for years and can take a serious beating. They take rough roads a lot better than a truck. All my truck owning friends can't believe how much faster you can ride comfortably in a jeep compared to a truck. Hope you find a perfect one for you.

That is good to hear!! Thanks Amanda!

I have a 98 XJ, I couldn't be happier with it.

The 00 and 01 have better intake manifolds, and slightly better motor. However, the 01 went with a slightly different transfer case so ground clearance got limited by about 2 inches.

Always try to get the 4.0L inline 6 motor. Most XJ Cherokees with have either the Chrysler 8.25 rear end or the Dana 30 rear axle, the Dana 30 is notorious for breaking axles if you put bigger tires on it. You can tell if you are looking at an 8.25 rear end if there is a flat piece of metal on the housing pointing to the ground on the pumpkin, the Dana 30s are approximately round on the bottom (looking from the back of the vehicle).

I could go into lots of detail between years, but basically I would stick with 98+. They made some very good changes starting in the 98 model year into the last year of production. Either way, any year of XJ cherokee is easy to upgrade with some dirt cheap junkyard parts pulled from other cherokees.

I have a 98 XJ, I couldn't be happier with it.

The 00 and 01 have better intake manifolds, and slightly better motor. However, the 01 went with a slightly different transfer case so ground clearance got limited by about 2 inches.

Always try to get the 4.0L inline 6 motor. Most XJ Cherokees with have either the Chrysler 8.25 rear end or the Dana 30 rear axle, the Dana 30 is notorious for breaking axles if you put bigger tires on it. You can tell if you are looking at an 8.25 rear end if there is a flat piece of metal on the housing pointing to the ground on the pumpkin, the Dana 30s are approximately round on the bottom (looking from the back of the vehicle).

I could go into lots of detail between years, but basically I would stick with 98+. They made some very good changes starting in the 98 model year into the last year of production. Either way, any year of XJ cherokee is easy to upgrade with some dirt cheap junkyard parts pulled from other cherokees.

Awesome thanks for the information!

Hey tam I have a 78 cj5 on my side yard. It was my bunting rig in highschool it has set on my side yard for the last 20 years. Every hear I say I am going to get it up and going. I got it of the base down south. I think it only has around 100 k on the strait 6.

Hey tam I have a 78 cj5 on my side yard. It was my bunting rig in highschool it has set on my side yard for the last 20 years. Every hear I say I am going to get it up and going. I got it of the base down south. I think it only has around 100 k on the strait 6.

It's probably a 258ci which is the same as mine. They're great motors with plenty of low end torque to get you through the rough stuff. Perhaps it's time to dust it off and hit the hills... spring is coming fast!

We have a total of 6 of them (had 8) and let me tell you they are the best. 3 of them are divable and the other 3 we use for parts. I will ask my dad if the one is in good enough shape to sell.