Elk and Antelope Applicants

I do not agree that trophy hunting has hurt the number of hunters in the field. If anything it has given some of the smaller bucks a chance to grow older and spread their genes. In todays' world the biggest enemy is the economy. When money is scarce, the first thing to go is your "play" money.

I wrote the following more than 20 years ago as one of my LAST SHOT columns for AZ Hunter and Angler. Some of the stats would obviously differ now, likely leaning toward the worse side.

WE'RE LOSIN' 'EM

It's no big secret the number of hunters on a national level has declined over the last two decades. With the growth of many small cities into larger cities, a less rural population has resulted. This alone has cut hunter numbers. The seemingly parallel decline occurring in Arizona -- once considered to have a very "rural" population -- is even more distressing.

Unquestionably, the cities here have also grown rapidly. In the Phoenix metro area alone, the population has jumped from 900,000 in 1965 to 2.3 million now. The state's overall people count has increased proportionally, too. Yet, despite the huge influx of people into Arizona, the sales of hunting licenses have fallen substantially from historic highs.

At a recent Arizona Game and Fish Commission meeting, Education Branch Chief Kerry Baldwin explained the history of license sales. He cited a steady growth in license sales from World War II into the 1970s. The gas crisis of the 1970s signaled the peak of license sales growth relative to the changing population across the country. The key years appear to be 1970-71, when most of Arizona's big-game hunts went to a permit system.

Baldwin also pointed to the large drop in youngsters between 10 and 20 years old now getting into hunting. Overall only 5.6 percent of Arizona's residents bought licenses in 1987 compared to 9 percent of the total population in 1967. The number of youths buying licenses declined even worse.

Many factors have played a part in the overall decline. A poor economy, adverse weather and high gas prices have had noticeable but short-term effects over the years. Declines in specific game populations and regulation changes like the permit system played key roles, as well.

More discouraging, though, are the long-term variables -- the ones that will carry over for the coming decades and possibly predict the future of hunting in this country.

First, we have an aging population. This especially shows among licensed hunters because of the lower recruitment of youngsters. As more hunters get older and quit hunting altogether, fewer people will take their place in the outdoors.

Earlier, I mentioned the growth of cities. With this upsurge in a more urban population, fewer and fewer youngsters get to experience the outdoors on a firsthand basis. Instead, they might watch the Discovery or Disney channel to learn about wildlife and the outdoors. By the time they become adults, their only experiences with live animals other than a domestic pet might come from a zoo.

Lifestyles have also changed drastically in the last 30 years. In many families both parents MUST work just to pay the bills. Thus, they have little free time for hunting. Instead, the adults take up golf, tennis, bowling or other pastime -- ones they can enjoy close to home and over a few hours. To them, finding time to play 18 holes is a lot easier than finding a few days to hunt deer. These people spend a large part of their expendable income closer to home, too.

No doubt the current trend in the family makeup accounts for at least some of the lack of recruitment among youths, and it's less than encouraging:

* 30 percent of all children live in a one-parent family;

* 50 percent of all children will live with one parent by age 18;

* 90 percent of all single-parent families have a woman as the that parent;

* 10 percent of the population is comprised of 15-19 year olds;

* 93 percent of the hunters in Arizona are males.

Most juvenile hunters come from homes where hunting and fishing have been a traditional part of the adult family member's lifestyle, according to Baldwin. If juveniles do not participate in hunting or fishing by the time they hit 18 years old, they likely never will. The current surveys support this; 85 percent of current hunting license buyers started before they reached 18 years of age.

Many of my neighbors show just how true these statistics are. At least three families on my block consist of a divorced mother and one or more children. One lives across the street. The mother has been alone for nearly 12 years and somehow has made do on her earnings from two low paying jobs. She was determined to keep herself and three kids off the welfare roles.

When I first talked to the oldest boy nearly 10 years ago, James was 11. I had been unpacking my truck after a deer hunt, and James was cutting his front lawn. When he saw me unload the caped skull of a buck, he shut down the lawn mower and walked across the street just to visit. During our conversation, I found out he had never hunted and fished only at the park about a mile away. He told me his mother simply never had time to take him. From what I already knew, she probably didn't have the money to spend on even the most minimal equipment either.

Two weeks after the deer hunt, I invited James into my house to see my collection of trophy mounts. They somewhat awed him at first. During the next few months, though, he became a regular visitor. He always enjoyed talking about my trips and looking at the photos from the successful ones.

All my kids are long gone, and I always have these leftover fishing rods, reels, lures, line, baseball hats and other sundry goodies, courtesy of the manufacturers. Plus, my closet contains at least 15 firearms, and I can only use one at a time.

So about five years ago I decided to "adopt" James. During one of his visits, I asked if he thought his mother would let him hunt. He said he didn't know but he would ask.

A day later, I heard a loud knock. When I opened door, James was standing there with a very big smile on his face.

"She said I can."

"She said you can what?" I asked.

"I can go hunting with you."

"Aha, now I understand. Good. But first things first. There's a thing or two we need to get done. I want you to take a hunter education course. Just tell your mom I'll take care of the registration fee and get you to classes."

The next day I called the game department and got the dates for the next hunter ed class in our neighborhood. James and I attended together, and he graduated with flying colors. A week later, I took him out to the desert and let him shoot some clay birds with my 20 gauge shotgun. We made two more forays to the desert before I felt he had progressed enough to shoot at a live bird without becoming discouraged over missing. On the way home from that third trip, I stopped at a license dealer and bought James his first hunting and fishing license. The next weekend James killed a limit of doves. A week later, we went fishing at Lake Pleasant.

He was hooked.

James is now 20 and attending an out-of-town college on an academic scholarship and majoring in biology. He wants to be a wildlife researcher. He finds little time for hunting and fishing now but still manages to stop by my house and reminisce whenever he comes home to see his mom. Naturally, his mother is proud of James' scholastic accomplishments -- and deservedly so.

I have no doubt the youngster will get back to hunting and fishing once he graduates. Before he left for school last August, he told me he would be home for the Thanksgiving holidays and would like to do a little quail hunting with me and my German shorthair if I have the time.

Of course, I made the time. If hunting is to survive, we need all the help we can get. James and youngsters like him represent the best help around.

----- 30 -----

i just wanted to comment on this because this story hits close to home. My parents were divorced at an early age. A family members then boyfriend and husband now took me under his wing when i was 11 years old and got me into the feild. To this day im greatful he did and i consider him the father i never really had. Over the past 20 years we have shared a ton of memories and none better then the hunt bull hunt this past november. Had he not taken me dove hunting one day i probally would have never been in the feild. Thank you for changing that kids life like someone changed mine.

Amen Darren.... You hit the nail on the head regardless what anyone says... Crowds are a big turnoff for me as well as many others Im sure. Quantity over quality has been the game and fish motto for the last ten years or so. Anyone who hasnt hunted for the last 20 years or so wont notice the decline in Quads and Rhinos all over the woods since the economy took a dump and no one can afford them high priced toys for recreation purposes anymore. Nobodys got any money like they did ten years ago when it grew on trees and you could borrow all you wanted. Gas prices dont help much either. then the price of elk tags and antelope tags go up through the roof and you now have a rich mans sport that wasnt meant to be one... Jeez dont get me started... I need to post on MM and get some attitude going... LOL

Ron

I think the game and fish department has created a problem, or situation maybe is a better term, that is turning some hunters off. I have friends that no longer have any desire to go hunting after having a bad experience fighting the incredible crowd that exists in the woods each fall. If you apply for a good rifle bull tag, in lets say unit 6A, you will be surrounded by 900 other bull tag holders. This year a unit 6a archery bull tag holder will see that number cut down to only 595. To me, those numbers are way too high. It may take a person 10 years to draw a bull tag, and then their hunt is not good because everywhere they go they run into other hunters.

Maybe I am wrong, but it seems the game department has gone way overboard trading quantity for quality, and that is driving some people away. Of course on the flipside, the more tags they give out, the more frequently a hunter gets to go.

Darren

NEWTOWN, Conn.—The National Shooting Sports Foundation, trade association for the firearms and ammunition industry, calls the 3.6 percent rise in paid hunting license holders for 2009 one of the most encouraging signs for hunting in recent years.

"This is great news for our industry and everyone associated with hunting," said Steve Sanetti, president and CEO of the National Shooting Sports Foundation. "Many efforts are at work to build hunting participation, and they are paying off. More people are enjoying the outdoors and sharing the tradition of hunting with family and friends. Also, more hunting license sales translate into more funds for wildlife conservation."

U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service last week reported a total of 14,974,534 paid license holders for 2009, the largest figure since 2002 and an increase of 526,494 over 2008. The 3.6 percent rise in paid license holders represents the largest year-over-year increase since 1974. (A "paid license holder" is one individual regardless of the number of licenses purchased.)

Full Story

How has trophy hunting hurt anyone? A trophy to me is differant than a trophy to you. Trophy hunting has nothing to do with the decline of hunters.

Please don't try to look too deep into this, I am not saying "Trophy hunters" hurt anyone, I consider myself one from time to time (probably less then I want to admit). When I hunt, I try to get a bigger animal then the last one, to me that is trophy hunting, to others it might be trying to get the biggest racked animal in the unit, to another it is just getting their first animal. That is not the point here nor the reaons I said what I did.

Its ALL part of the reason, not the reason.

As it pertains to the fact that more people are not hunting in AZ today than years ago, this is just my personal opinion, that in this discussion only, I feel that "Some" people have focused (including myself from time to time)more on trophy hunting, that they didn't have time to take a kid hunting or enjoy a hunting camp with their family and so on. Trophy hunting today is much bigger than 30 years ago and "most of the time" it requires a different "focus" then just going hunting.

Trophy hunting itself doesn't hurt anyone, and that is not what I meant. But I can testify that I myself have probably neglected my responsibility in taking a kid hunting or a hunting buddy or what ever the reason is so maybe they wouldn't find my favorite hunting hole or take up my time or whatever the reason is.

I will say that I feel that if we take 1 more person with us hunting then we do, we will make a hunter for life! Sorry, if I lead you too feel I was picking the "Trophy hunters", I wasn't.

They will never do away with hunting alltogether. There is to much money to be made in this sport,game,job what ever you want to call it. As long as Im around I know I will be huning!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope it doesnt mean hunting is declining as a whole. I know several people that have quit hunting all together. Seems people are finding other things to do with there time. I personally would be a lost soul if I couldnt hunt.

People just don't have the money these days....

trophy hunting probably doesn't hurt much. i used to consider myself one, when i could still get around real good. trophy hunters are a different story. a few guys really harm everyone else with high profile stupidity. shooting elk in subdivisions. stretching and breaking the laws. flooding the field with a bunch of "guides" to keep an eye on a particular animal until a rich guy with an auction tag can fly in on his personal jet, drive out and shoot it, take some pictures with the dozen or so lackeys and toadys he had to hire to keep from sweatin', and go home. stacking up the draw with thousands of nonresident applicants. certain outfitters providing really poor service to the nonresidents that do get a tag. states having to make and change laws to keep outfitters from using airplanes and chute planes and other things that are not sporting and shouldn't be used by sportsmen in the first place. and states having to spend million$ to defend against lawsuits by outfitters who think they deserve more than joe hunter. stuff like that provides a lot of easy ammo for antis to use. and they do use it and it works. and where is all this private land owned by greedy landowners in Az? been hunting here for 50 years and i have never not hunted someplace because some greedy landowner wouldn't let me. if i couldn't get access i would go around. it's all part of hunting. it's called work. hunting is hard work if you do it right. Az doesn't have enough private land to keep anyone from hunting any unit in the state. and there is more than enough public land to hunt. if you are letting a greedy landowner keep you from hunting, you're just lazy. Lark.

trophy hunting probably doesn't hurt much. i used to consider myself one, when i could still get around real good. trophy hunters are a different story. a few guys really harm everyone else with high profile stupidity. shooting elk in subdivisions. stretching and breaking the laws. flooding the field with a bunch of "guides" to keep an eye on a particular animal until a rich guy with an auction tag can fly in on his personal jet, drive out and shoot it, take some pictures with the dozen or so lackeys and toadys he had to hire to keep from sweatin', and go home. stacking up the draw with thousands of nonresident applicants. certain outfitters providing really poor service to the nonresidents that do get a tag. states having to make and change laws to keep outfitters from using airplanes and chute planes and other things that are not sporting and shouldn't be used by sportsmen in the first place. and states having to spend million$ to defend against lawsuits by outfitters who think they deserve more than joe hunter. stuff like that provides a lot of easy ammo for antis to use. and they do use it and it works. and where is all this private land owned by greedy landowners in Az? been hunting here for 50 years and i have never not hunted someplace because some greedy landowner wouldn't let me. if i couldn't get access i would go around. it's all part of hunting. it's called work. hunting is hard work if you do it right. Az doesn't have enough private land to keep anyone from hunting any unit in the state. and there is more than enough public land to hunt. if you are letting a greedy landowner keep you from hunting, you're just lazy. Lark.

It's obvious that you have never hunted in Southern az in units 30a, 30b, 32. You talk about being lazy but how about my 82 year old grandfather who can't walk around the areas, Or my 10 year old son who likes to hunt with his 5 year old sibling. Before you go implying people are lazy look at the circumstances other might be facing .

Not to bash all you outfitters because not all are alike, but I agree with Lark.

Not to bash all you outfitters because not all are alike, but I agree with Lark.

I'll say it again It's obvious that you have never hunted in Southern az in units 30a, 30b, 32. You talk about being lazy but how about my 82 year old grandfather who can't walk around the areas, Or my 10 year old son who likes to hunt with his 5 year old sibling. Before you go implying people are lazy look at the circumstances other might be facing .

I agree with "Webber". People just don't have the money in these economic times. Of course society has affected the hunting environment for years and will cause hunting not be so popular as other things. But that is a given. But when I decide to put in for any game, I look at the expense as a whole. Not just how much the license and the tag and application fee are. How much is gas, food, lodging, extra equipment, time off. Things such as these, not to mention if your getting your meat done proffesionally or going to a taxedermy. When your all said and done your totals could easily be in the thousands. But in turn thats why I am a strong supporter of the NRA and hunting forums such as this one, Because we do need to get the word out there to the younger generation to step it up a bit. I'm sure we could go on for hours about the positive effects of younger people getting involved in hunting, but I'll try and stick to the topic on hand. But I appreciate the posts that everyone has left. We all just need to take up the burden together and work to keep the true hunting tradition alive!

TC

Lark said it very well and I am one that feels the same way as him. I know we all have our own thoughts, but to me, his hits the nail right on the head.

I'm pretty sure he's hunted in those units.... Pretty sure he grew up in the Gila Valley and has hunted most places down south.

I will agree with you that access has developed into a huge problem in those units; it would sure be nice to get more access available for us all. The Klondyke side of 31 is getting to be just as bad for access. How about 76 ranch? Any access there?

No access to 76 all locked up. THe entire east side of the winchesters are closed , By hass and Davis. the entire dos cabes is locked ny clump and brooks and some other ranchers.

there isn't a unit in Az that i haven't hunted at one time or another. my dad is 83, walks with 2 canes, can't go more than maybe a couple hundred yards. he hunts where he can get to and gets a buck most years. when you're that old, it doesn't matter what kinda access you have. your age and physical shape are what dictates what you do. sucks to get old, but if you're lucky you get to. i'm getting limited in where i go and what i do and i'm quite aways from 80 still. when my kids were 10 they went wherever i did. i'd let up a little and not go some of the places i might normally go, but they got a full dose of the mountains from day one. now they wait for me and help me punk my stuff out. there is always a way around. if you're rugged enough to make the trip. i know guys that hunt the galluro wilderness from the san pedro side. using greedy landowners as a reason to complain doesn't hold any water in Az. i hunt units in colorado that every square foot is private land and always find a way get access to plenty of land to hunt and have never paid a trespass fee. it's just how you go about things. whining because someone is fortunate enough to own a bunch of land and doesn't want you on it doesn't help anything. either go around or go someplace else. Az has more accessable public land than any place i know of. but i still agree that sportsmen need to be good stewards and do what they can to sweet talk landowners into allowing access. calling someone greedy doesn't accomplish anything constructive. if you want to hunt a particular place bad enough you'll find a way to get in there, if it's public land. i've spent many a mile on ol' shank's mare with a freighter frame on my back or on horseback leading pack animals to get to where i wanted to be. seldom was it because of a greedy landowner. it was because that was where i wanted to be and i was willing to put out the effort and work it took to get there. Lark.