I agree........ This is the third year that I have had the chance to hunt with my son. He has not been successful in bagging a deer, but,,,,,, he learns a lttle more every year. He is learning why they call it "hunting", and not "killing".

I thought that I had a blast while hunting by myself, but taking him out there and spending time with him has been the best experience of my life.

It is funny,,,,,,, when you watch those TV commercials that show the dad driving down the road with his son and they are not talking. Then at the end of the commercial it says "another chance to talk missed". I love sitting under a tree up on a ridge in the middle of the day, eating lunch with my son and talking. The thing that is nice is that I don?t have to do all of the talking. I have learned alot about my son just from going hunting with him.

Hey 2506, No offense but you made the kid feel bad! Maybe you should consider focusing more on how to better youre tactics then bashing a young fellow!! I know lots and lots of people that can harvest deer at 600+ yards! If you are comftorable with the shot, then why not take it????? I would just like to put a stand down on the score! Hunting May not be the same thing to you as it is to someone else!!!

I would like to add to this. My favorite thing about this site is the fact that it ISN'T just about trophy hunting and score! We all want to kill a huge buck and we like to talk about killing huge bucks. But, We all love HUNTING COUES DEER in general, no matter what the size. I told everyone that I was after 90" or better on my NOV. 36b tag this year and killed a two point opening day. I'm more proud of that two point, than any other deer I've killed, because of the experience and knowledge gained in that one day. I'm a big advocate of making the most of a hunt, enjoy every aspect from the scenery, weather, wildlife and its habits and making memories with friends, family or just by yourself. You never know when it will be your last hunt, or a last hunt with a good friend or family member. Don't miss any detail and enjoy every last moment, if you don't tag out, you"ll be going home with all of that at least and a smile on your face. P.S. there is always two sides to every story, try to keep an open mind and be careful about passing quick judgements. ;) JIM

I think scoring is a good way to descibe your buck... I never cared about scores before this year but now I find I love it... Everyone has their own motivation, as long as its healthy... Who cares... We're all fellow hunters... I'm jealous of younghunter's equipment too, but, good for him...

I thought I'd just be done using the name 2506 but I'm really begging to question why I wrote in the first place and why I would do so in the future. For the last time. I never said the kid was a bad kid or that he had the wrong equipment or did anything that wrong. I was questioning what all of this discussion is doing to our hunting heritage.

I did appologize to younghunter in an email for using him as an example.

As for the idividual that suggested I polish my skills. Anyone and I do mean anyone that decides to shoot at an animal the size of a coues deer at 600 yrds. is truely irresponsible. You might hit it, you might even kill it, but you pull that kind of shot often and YOU WILL LOOSE animals and that is unacceptable. The difference between you and I is that I know better than to suggest that as a good or even reasonable idea to anyone.

Again, it was not my intent to insult younghunter. It seems that I have, so for that I am sorry!

600 YARDS ?????????

2506...PROBABLY NOT

300 ULTRA MAG....ALL DAY

WHAT IT BOILS DOWN TO IS HOW MUCH TIME A GUY/GAL IS WILLING TO PUT IN AT THE RANGE.........................BETTER USE ENOUGH GUN. DEAD IS DEAD

WANTING A BIG DEER?????

IF YOUNGHUNTER/ANYBODY HAS A GOAL TO KILL A CERTIAN SIZE DEER MORE POWER TO HIM. IF HE HAS ALL THE TOOLS TO DO IT, MORE POWER TO HIM. JUST BECAUSE HE HAS GOALS DOSENT MEAN HE IS GOING TO HAVE LESS OF A HUNT THAN SOMEBODY WHO'S GOAL IS TO KILL ANY DEER. HE MAY EVEN LEARN MORE BY BEING CHOOSEY, BECAUSE HE WILL BE OUT IN THE FEILD MORE, AND WHEN HE REACHES HIS GOAL IT WILL BE VERY SWEET.....................OR SHOULD BE.

Thats quite a statement there 2506. Back in my match days in the Marine Corps we used to shoot 12" inch bulls with our M16's at 500 yds, IRON SIGHTS. Thats a .223!!!! I could do it all day long with a .300 RUM with a scope on it.

The fact is brother you decided to say something about what you think is wrong with hunting these days. Theres NOTHING wrong with that. The problem is that I think you made some bad statements concerning a kid we happen to know from here and like alot. I think in MANY, MANY circles there is a problem with people being too concerned with inches. BUT.... You also have to look at 90% of the people in these circles! These are hunters and sportsman that have 10... 20.... maybe 30 years of hunting under thier belt. These hunters have killed alot of deer and after killing ALOT of deer a guy might start trophy hunting a bit. Now... you get a motivated kid who wants to learn something, where does he go? He goes to where the "old" guys hang out and is smart in doing so. This kid is a breed apart. How many young hunters do you see on here? 2 or 3 maybe? I'd be willing to wager that younghunter will kill a state record buck at some point in his life. Why? Because hes commited to it and hes got alot of years ahead of him AND hes got goals. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with that either! Maybe I made some references to you that weren't so nice and for that I apologize. We're all supposed to be on the same team here and sometimes its gets to be a little like my wifes soap operas but hey, we're mostly men here and we need a little drama too! Right??? Anyway... happy hunting to all and to all a good fight!!!!

Donnie

I have shot three deer between 450 and 597 yards and recovered every one of them. I have shot lots of other deer at shorter distances and have wounded a few over 33 years of whitetail hunting.I Do not think we should clump everybody's max shooting together. Michael Jordon could shoot three pointers all day. While Shaquille O'Neal can not hit the broad side of a barn past 10 feet.I always try to get closer if I can, although sometimes it is just not possible.

Noel