BowNut

2011 AZ Buffalo

A friend of mine Carl AKA Bowhuntcoues said I could post some pics of his buffalo he shot this year.

He will get on when he has time and post the story but here are some pictures. He should be #2 Pope and Young!

Congrats Man!

post-1013-1296081696_thumb.jpg

post-1013-1296081878_thumb.jpg

Congrats! Thats on my bucket list, to chase bison with a bow or an old smooth bore. That looks like a LOT of work. One big bodied elk is plenty of work. I cant imagine having something twice the size down, in the middle of no where.

Holy Tatonka!!!

That's a toad and to take him with a bow is just awesome!!!! I soooo wanted that tag this year.

Congrats, what's it score???

Around 124.

Ya what he said! :lol:

Should have details soon. He said he was going to today but must not have had time.

WOW What a nice bull! gotta love that! Congrats to all involved thats awesome!

Lance

That is a big ole chunch of meat! Congrats on a huge bull!

Brian

What an awesome experience, to be one of the lucky people and draw this tag. I have been putting in for many years and always dreamed of being able to hunt a buffalo with a bow and it finally got to happen.

I spent quite a few days searching for sign and finally found a few buffalo, what a task that is just to find them, it will make your whole body sore and tired.

We had spotted a few cows and a yearling early in the morning, they bedded down in about 100 yards from me. I decided to stay and watch them and my buddy was going to walk over to look in the next drainage. After an hour or so a few guys drove by and spooked the buffalo off, at the same time my buddy was working his way back to me, as he spotted 2 bedded bulls and they were spooked off too. :(

All the buffalo were gone....

So with that, we decided we would put a treestand up on a trail that they were frequenting in the flat by where the cows were bedded. We were looking for a good tree to put a stand in, when my buddy spots a bull across the canyon. He is freaking out due to the size and me, not knowing a big bull from a little one cause there're all big to me, I'm just happy to see one again.

The bull is across a good canyon a little over 300 yards away, by himself and very stalkable. We decide on a good route to get to him and off I go. It took me close to an hour to get above the bull and be able to see my buddy. We had worked out a few hand signals before I left and he flagged me to keep on top of the rim rock. I finally seen the bulls hump below me about 70 yards. It looked as though I was as close as I could get for awhile and I watched him feed to 60 yards below me and bed down behind a big tree. Thats when the waiting began, aghh. It was very cold out and me being stupid only wore a light shirt, thinking this won't take long.

Well after watching this bull lay up in front of me for 3 hours I was frozen. He had layed completely flat once and I couldn't see his head, so I decided to sneak closer when he did that again. So when he did, I snuck to within 53 yards as he picked his head up. Well from here I had no shot due to brush in front of me. So when he layed his head down again, I moved over 3 steps, this time he heard me. I had my site pre set at 53 yards and was ready for this, he picked his head up, looked my way, stood up and stepped forward just as I had hoped. I drew back, settled into the shot and let it feed. The bull loped forward into clear view and I could see where I shot thinking it looked good. He went 24 yards and stopped, he started staggering then crashed 30 yards down the mountain, taking trees and vegetation with him. It was amasing seeing the size of trees he took out as he fell.

Many pack trips and a few days latter the bull was finally to the truck. They are huge animals!

I feel very blessed just to have the oppotunity to hunt these fine animals and to be able to do it with a bow, wow! :) :D