Sign in to follow this  
BABBITT_BOYZ

Third Coues Buck

High Expectations

With draw odds of 100% we were assured a deer tag again. After a long years wait it was opening day, which happen to fall on my wife Stephanie’s birthday. She had the right to shoot first, no matter what! In the early months of scouting, I had found a couple nice bucks. In fact, I even managed to put an awesome stalk in and close the distance to just 60 yards. Of course, I missed the smaller of the two bucks in August with my bow. As he bolted off, the bigger deer came out of the brush with him. I had no clue he was even there. I guessed the buck I missed to be around the mid 80’s, the other buck had to be pushing the 100 inch mark. Both were beautiful 3 points. After making a few scouting trips and seeing them both twice the weekend before opening day, I really thought I had these two figured out.

After last years shenanigans, we were up bright and early. Too early. We sat in the dark for about an hour before we could see through the binos! That morning we spotted a few mule deer does and that was it. With high hopes of getting Steph a birthday buck, it did not happen; the day produced nothing but does. That night my hunting buddy and cousin Brett showed up. He informed us that he was going to be a father again, so we had a few celebratory beers for the birthday girl and the father to be. Remembering last years events, I went easy on the drinks! We hit the sack hoping tomorrow would be a more eventful day. For the next two days, we saw nothing but does and the morale was low. My hunting party departed as the weekend came to a close. My wonderful wife selflessly went home with our boys, allowing me to hunt for one last day.

After seeing no bucks for 3 days, I reluctantly made a call to a friend Steve, who is knowledgable about the unit and had volunteered to help out previously. I originally held out, hoping to find the two bucks that evaded me during the archery season. This call proved to be a good move. Monday morning we had a 2 hour trek to get into whitetail country. As it got light, it seemed our valiant effort would go unrewarded. The strong wind, rain, and fog would surely have the deer held up. We glassed for no more than ten minutes and I spotted two deer. Before I could get the pair of 15s out of my pack and set up to get a better look, the fog rolled in and obscured our view. After a few minutes, the fog blew out and I saw what I had been hoping for since opening day. Bucks. I set Steve up on the fifteens and headed off. Three ridges later, I was within shooting distance. Knowing the Ruger #1 was dialed at 300 yards, I was confident in my shot. It took me several attempts to get in a position for a clear shot of the bigger buck. They spotted me and started moving over the ridge. My buck stopped on the crest of the hill, presenting a hard, quartering away shot. His last decision was to stop and look back over his shoulder at me. I had no time to range him so I put the cross-hairs on his nose, thinking that if my range was off, my shot would still be fatal. I squeezed the trigger but as the rifle fired, I was startled. I quickly reloaded the single shot, frantically looking for the deer. Finally, through the tall grass I see him flailing about. He had dropped in his tracks. I decided to wait a few minutes to see if he was going to get back up. He stopped moving and I made my way over to him. Upon approaching him, I could see dark chocolate antlers sticking out of the brush. He was the solid three point I had always hoped of shooting. This was my fifth buck, and my first to be equal on both sides. However, after examining his head more closely, my curse had stuck again. 2 x 3 packin’ crazy eye-guards! I snapped a few quick photos before dressing him out. He was bleeding from his ears and mouth. The bullet entered exactly where I aimed just above the nose.

This buck, whom I named Duke, grossed 98 3/8”. Special thanks to Steve and Stephanie.

post-5208-1295732142_thumb.jpg

post-5208-1295732337_thumb.jpg

post-5208-1295732455_thumb.jpg

Nice buck, i like the way the rack just goes up high, and them eye guards are sweet, good job man.

DAN

What a handsome buck, Congrats.

--Bill

Great job man! I am pretty sure I have a TON of trail cam pictures of that deer and his buddy. His buddy is a younger deer, but a complete 3x3. I hunted them both during the archery hunt but obviously never made it happen. Great job.

Here's a pic of your buck alive. I will email you a few more when I get a chance. I literally have close to a hundred pictures of him and his buddy. They also had a little spike with them throughout most of the summer.

SUNP0025_2.jpg

I am also curious as to where you ended up killing him, if you don't mind telling. Shoot me an email at coues09@gmail.com