Sign in to follow this  
bowhuntaz1

Looking to put some in the dirt (Updated)

When I lived in Yuma, (and was single) Every Christmas you would find me out thinning the coyotes.

Now I'm in Mesa(and happily married with 2 beautiful daughters) the wife does not let me go out on Christmas :( .

Out of left field today I get a text from her. It said, "Why don't you go coyote hunting on Thanksgiving. You can go every year and take the girls when you think they are old enough." :blink: :blink: :blink: :lol:

It has been 3 years since I put a dog in the dirt.

I am looking for places to look an hour or so from the Mesa area.

Your secrets will be safe with me.( and my daughters in a few years)

Looking forward to the PMs

Thanks

James T.

James- everything within an hour gets its fair share of predator hunters. Going South to Maricopa you can start calling South of the 238 all the way to the 8 around Stanfield. North for an hour barely gets you out of the valley. East you can hit the area before and around Superior. West is limited also by your location.

If you go down the 60 heading toward Gold Canyon the left is rifle and the right is shotgun only. Look for thickets of trees and washes as they will often hold the coyotes holding up for the day just outside the neighborhoods. Sneak in with your shotgun and call quietly and get ready for the action.

Good luck.

I enjoy hunting predator outside Queen Valley, off the US 60E (From Mesa). Take Queen Valley Rd before the train tracks and then take the 1st dirt road on the right and continue going past the gated farm land on your left and there are alot of coyotes and fox in there. That dirt road will bring you all the way to Superior so its pretty hard to get lost. I have also seen fox, rabbit, dove, coues doe and one 0bobcat. I have had a trail cam stolen from me two years ago within a week's time around that area, so exercise extreme caution when putting up trail cams. It's ONLY 45 minutes from Mesa, and 30 minutes from Gold Canyon. I also have gone to Wickenburg (North Of The West Valley) for predators and that would be highly recommended because that is all hunting ground with the exception of Historic Vulture Mine. I have never been skunked at Wickenburg.

Feel free to PM me for more info.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I did go out towards Queen Valley yesterday. I made about 20 stands. First stand first minute had a fox come charging in to 17 yards. I was not evan ready. I stoped calling and he turned around and trotted off. I knocked a judo tip and came to full draw. I made some kissing sounds and he spun around and perched on the same little rock. I love the sound of an arrow hitting its targret!!!

Next few stands nothing. moved to the other side of the streert. Lots of people camping and target shooting. Made a stand in a wide heavy treed wash. Yote at the 9 minute mark peaking around the tree. She hit the dirt. fox comes in 2 minutes later. Dirt bath.

2nd to last stand. Yote comes in slow looking past me. I slowly turn to see 2 more running for Tucson then the first one is gone. I get back to my truck to see fresh quad tracks around my truck, along with about a size 12 shoe and a childs foot prints around my truck. My yote and 2 foxes are gone :huh: :angry:

At least they left my jack stands and jack( which I needed later )

Angry I slowly made my way back to the highway.

Stopped to help an older couple (late 70's) who were on their way to Safford. They blew a tire and their spare was flat. When I got there the tire was off and the front disk was in the dirt and the old man was bleeding from both wrists. He forgot to set the brake and place rocks around the tires. When he was getting the spare, the car rolled and fell off his jack. He grabbed the trunk and the trunk lid came down hard on both of his wrists(Older people are like head wounds, they bleed alot). As I'm waiting for a guy to come back with his tire, I watched ALOT of hunters heading out.

Anyway, got the older couple back on the road and then I ate WAY to much.