5yearcoueshunter

Arizona Regulations

I was wondering about the licence system in Arizona. Is the licence year the same as the calendar year? If so, a bowhunter that goes deer hunting in January, can't go hunting in the upcoming December? It's probably an easy concept, I'm just so use to the NM system that I'm a little confused. HELP

Thanks, Travis

Travis,

Yes, Arizona's license year is the same as the calender year. If you hunt January and don't get one, you can still hunt in August-September. If you still don't get one, you can also hunt in December as long as the unit is open. This is in all of the same year. Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Danny H.

If you buy an archery tag in Jan it lasts till Dec 31. If you get drawn for a rifle hunt you can still hunt it if you havent got a deer yet. If you get drawn for a rifle hunt (results go out before Aug archery hunt) and get a deer in Aug with a bow you cannot go with your rifle or anything until Jan 1 of the next year.

I hope the deer pop. comes back up so it will go back to 2 deer per year. It used to be this way when I first started hunting deer.

Good luck

So you can hunt in January and then if you don't get a deer, you can put in for a rifle tag. Then if you draw a rifle tag for November you can hunt August/September again with bow. Then if you don't get a deer during that season, you can hunt the November hunt with rifle. Then if you don't get a deer during that season, you can hunt December again with a bow?

Is this right?

Wow, that's a lot of time to hunt. That's so different from New Mexico. Here you can only hunt with 1 weapon type per season. So if you choose to bowhunt, you can not rifle or muzzleloader hunt that season. But if you do choose to bowhunt you get 2 seasons. If you choose to rifle or muzzleloader hunt, you get 1 season and that's it.

Thanks for the info guys.

Hey guys, I'm still a little bit confused. If I buy a bow tag in January, then put in for a rifle hunt and draw, won't I have 2 deer tags. How does the Game Department know I won't use both tags?

Edited by 5yearcoueshunter

AZ Game & Fish will sell you a Archery tag and you can apply for and get drawn for the fall draw hunt, so yes you can have two tags in your hand at one time BUT you can only take (1) deer per calender year. If you shoot it with your bow, rifle, or hit it with your truck for that matter you still get only (1) deer.

;)

Sorry, your question was how does AZGFD you won't use both tags????

They might not..........but I or any one in my hunting party (my family) will not take two deer in the same year because it is stealing, cheating, lying, unfair, POACHING, and if you get caught you will amoung other things lose your right to hunt for 1-5 years!!!!

;)

Yeah, what He said!!!!!!

Guest Ernesto C

Hey 5yearcoueshunter,if you have a ARCHERY only tag and a RIFLE TAG for the same year do not go hunting whit both tags in your possession at the same time;in another words if you are rifle hunting you should not have in your possession any archery tag it wont matter if it is for deer,bear etc.becuase that is illegal.

I hope I'm not getting you confuse whether you bag a deer with bow or rifle first, you are done for that year. Thank you and God bless you.

Ernesto C

MoreD, I abide by the same ethics. I've never poached anything or taken any animal unethically. One of my pet peves is party hunting. I hate it with a passion. To me party hunting is poaching. I was just confused because in most states, each tag you get can be used separtely. Like in a lot of eastern states, you are allowed 4 deer a year, therefore you receive 4 tags. It just seems kind of strange to me that you can get 2 deer tags in Arizona but your bag limit is still only 1 deer. It seems like it would be easy for a-hole hunters to get away with getting 2 deer a year.

Ernesto, I don't understand why if you have both tags in your pocket that would be illegal. If you bought both of those tags and you haven't killed a deer yet, why would if be illegal?

To answer your question, if you kill a deer in January, you CAN legally still put in for the fall hunts, ostensibly to get a bonus point. Should you draw a fall deer tag, you may not kill another deer as this will exceed your bag limit for the calendar year.

Also, a deer hit with your vehicle and claimed on a salvage permit does NOT count against your bag limit. I hope MoreD was joking.

But in reality the fact that you have two tags isn't really something that's tracked as there is no requirement to report deer kills except in the areas where there is a mandatory check in station such as Kaibab or some special hunts like 3-bar used to be. I've been asked to show my unused archery tag before while on a draw hunt so it is not something that you want to abuse and run the risk of losing privelages for a period.