Sign in to follow this  
billrquimby

PROP 109

Anyone taking odds on how long it will take for an anti-hunting or vegetarian group to say the proposition’s defeat is proof that the majority of Arizonans believe we have no right to kill and eat wild animals, birds and fish?

Bill Quimby

Bill, I personally had to tell people on how to vote. They came and asked what they should do.I first read it as a no vote then knew what was right. . It was not very clear to those non hunters who wanted to do the right thing for the hunters. Those hunters who didn't vote should hide there heads in shame. :(

TJ

Bill, I personally had to tell people on how to vote. They came and asked what they should do.I first read it as a no vote then knew what was right. . It was not very clear to those non hunters who wanted to do the right thing for the hunters. Those hunters who didn't vote should hide there heads in shame. :(

TJ

So did I.

Bill Quimby

I agree. Those hunters who didn't vote should hide there heads in shame. I can't believe that there isn't enough sportsmen in Arizona that this didn't pass.

Earlier in the week there was an article on the editorial page of the Az. Republic against 109 and was said to have been written by 4 former Game and Fish officials. That coupled with absolutely nothing but campaign ads against 109, sealed the deal. If it wasn't for CWT I wouldn't have known which way to vote.

The "yes" side didnt get basically any publicity on it and most voters were more educated as to why they should of voted No instead of yes. They should of worked with the NRA who supported the prop, to get TV commercials out there and such. What a shame, what a blown chance. At least with the elected officials in there now we should be ok, however if the tide turns in a few years we could be in big trouble.

The "yes" side didnt get basically any publicity on it and most voters were more educated as to why they should of voted No instead of yes. They should of worked with the NRA who supported the prop, to get TV commercials out there and such. What a shame, what a blown chance. At least with the elected officials in there now we should be ok, however if the tide turns in a few years we could be in big trouble.

That is a very good point. I am worried about the game commission going away with the yes vote.

I spent the morning in front of the Cave Creek polls. There were several people I had to explain it to. One guy asked me where the Sierra Club stood on it and I told him them they were against it. He then changed his ballot to a yes.

In retrospect we all should have been outside the 75 feet at our respective polling places (sans Camo and sidearms) trying to educate the voters. I am very sad to see popular votes still being able to manage Arizona's wildlife.

EBB

TJ

+1 :(

I believe it didnt pass because people saw that the words that the legislature would be in control over the G&F. I saw on monday in the White Mountain Independent a article about it and it tolod what it was about. I dont blame non hunters or hunters. I blame the people behind the bill not advertising about it and explaining what it was all about.

I spent the morning in front of the Cave Creek polls. There were several people I had to explain it to. One guy asked me where the Sierra Club stood on it and I told him them they were against it. He then changed his ballot to a yes.

In retrospect we all should have been outside the 75 feet at our respective polling places (sans Camo and sidearms) trying to educate the voters. I am very sad to see popular votes still being able to manage Arizona's wildlife.

EBB

Sierra Club is what helped me make a quick decision and that is what I preached to all that asked me about it.

I believe it didnt pass because people saw that the words that the legislature would be in control over the G&F.

This was the only concern I had about it. I just wasn't sure if that was a good thing or not, I'm still not sure. But I figured CWT was on top of it the rest of the bill was great so our household voted yes. I did search and couldn't find much about the benefit/harm of it...would it have been good/bad/indifferent?

I voted yes but know plenty of fishermen and hunters who voted no. They thought it was a bill that would allow the legislature to raid the G&F heritage fund, allow landowners to lobby for private tags and basically figured that a no would do no harm. I voted yes because of the groups that were against it. I figured if they lost the ability to use the ballot initiative it was a good vote for me and mine. Next round we need to make sure the language is clearer on what it will not allow the legislature to do IMO. My bet is lion hunting will be on the ballot next election.

I don't think it was advertised well at all. I never heard anything for or against it, except on CWT. I think it should have been advertised better. When people don't understand they read what the outcome will be on the ballot stating a "yes" or "no" vote and make their decision based on that. In this case it said no change would take place with a "no" vote. From what I seen a little more information on it would have been beneficial!